Author Topic: A heartfelt thank you

Andronius The Druid

• Developer
  • Gelatinous Cube
#283 July 01, 2018, Sunday, 08:51 am
I don't really know where to start... I'm not much of a writer, just a simple druid. But there's so many things I'd like to say, so many feelings, so many memories of past illusions (and dissapointments)...

I lost the notion of time since I first stumbled upon this project, and by sheer luck! Found it mentioned, just casually, in the most obscure, unlikely of places imaginable. I believe it was just a random mention on an old thread. There were no pictures, no videos, nothing special in that post; just a name ("Realms Beyond") and a link, that brought me here.

What a lucky click indeed! As I frantically tried to catch up with your YouTube channel, press kit, devlogs, planned systems and mechanics, and some of the fascinating discussions here, I wondered how was it even possible I didn't know of this project untill now: I read RPGCodex and RPGWatch, watch HarmonQuest and CriticalRoll, play D&D on Roll20 weekly, and of course I'm addicted to RPGs since my childhood as much as the next fellow... but nobody from my D&D sessions, Discord channels or Steam groups had even heard of this hidden gem!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that (besides the D&D 3.5 system, turn-based combat, and exquisite sources of inspiration you mention) on top of everything you are going to release your whole framework to enable us to create our own quests, items, monsters, spells, feats, levels, NPCs, encounters, campaigns and even complete worlds (maps) via the Steam Workshop, so we can easily share our adventures/campaigns with others!

When I realized a whole day or two had past without me even noticing while reading this website, I finally decided to suscribe, if only to express my deepest gratitude:
this is the game I've been waiting for 20 years.

Andronius, the Druid.
Last edited: July 01, 2018, Sunday, 08:56 am by Andronius The Druid

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#286 July 01, 2018, Sunday, 01:59 pm
Hey Andronius, welcome to our forums!

I am glad you've found your way to us. In the next months, we are finally ready to reveal much more information about our game.

Thanks for your subscription, for such a niche game as ours, every single supporter is highly appreciated!
Last edited: July 01, 2018, Sunday, 02:01 pm by HobGoblin42

The Old Farmer

• Marsh Goblin
#290 July 02, 2018, Monday, 03:34 am
Realms Beyond has had quite good coverage at RPGWatch.  Always good to see more followers.

Andronius The Druid

• Developer
  • Gelatinous Cube
#291 July 02, 2018, Monday, 05:34 am
Thank you guys, so glad to be here. Feels like home already. May we live to see this great project reach its fullest potential and more!  :hug:

P.S. Really @Old Farmer? Huh, must have missed it then (though it often happens that, when toxicity levels start rising there, or people start to ruthlessly attack indie projects, or they get stuck in idiotic, dogmatic, pointless arguments, I just fly away to other publications and don't come back for a while... could've surely been that  :obviously:).

May this nice small community always remain on the path of Light and the true spirit of D&D  ;)
Last edited: July 02, 2018, Monday, 05:58 am by Andronius The Druid

The Old Farmer

• Marsh Goblin
#293 July 03, 2018, Tuesday, 03:40 am
I hear you my friend the comments can try your patients at times but they are a great source of info on RPG'S. 

StoneAgeArtisan

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#296 July 03, 2018, Tuesday, 05:47 pm
@Andronius The Druid You expressed exactly how I was feeling. I stumbled upon this amazing find accidentally as well. I believe it was on RPGCodex. I have been visiting RPGWatch and RPGCodex about 1-2 times per week for sevral years now and somehow always missed any mention of Realms Beyond. But now I know about it and will be watching it's development closely!

I grew up on Temple of Apshai, Ultima III, IV, & V, The Bard's Tale, Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and others. Then came Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Temple of Elemental Evil. But for me, cRPGs took a big nose-dive after that. Diablo, the Elder Scrolls, and MMOPRGs took over, and those of us craving a single-player, party-based, turn-based RPG were left in the dust. Anyway, not to beat a dead horse by repeating what's already been said, but I am just so very excited about Realms Beyond.

Andronius The Druid

• Developer
  • Gelatinous Cube
#309 July 03, 2018, Tuesday, 10:46 pm
@StoneAgeArtisan You my friend, have an exquisite taste for videogames, same as devs here.

There was something really special about that time ain't it? The games being published back then, the books we had (remember those amazing AD&D Adventure books?), the masterpieces those guys managed to create with such limited resources and technology... I don't know how to put it in words man. Something got lost somewhere in the way, the market changed so much... and the audience changed so much (for worst!).

Let us solemly walk together towards this last Oasis, perhaps the last refuge we'll ever have.
In the meanwhile, here's something nice to remember:
;) https://gamebooks.org/Series/21

StoneAgeArtisan

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#314 July 04, 2018, Wednesday, 07:43 am
There was something really special about that time ain't it? The games being published back then, the books we had (remember those amazing AD&D Adventure books?), the masterpieces those guys managed to create with such limited resources and technology... I don't know how to put it in words man. Something got lost somewhere in the way, the market changed so much... and the audience changed so much (for worst!).

We are kindred spirits you and I. Hopefully this oasis does not fade into a mirage. I pledge to do whatever I can to help this game become a reality.