Author Topic: Multiclassing?

Badman

• Beach Crab
#321 July 19, 2018, Thursday, 04:00 pm
Hey Guys,

Games looks great so far. I miss well done turn based stuff, the active pausing is overdone and hurts games tactically.  Will multi-classing be available in the game? Also what made you go with 3.5 rules instead of 5e? I'm a fan of both I was just surprised to see a new 3.5 game.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#322 July 19, 2018, Thursday, 06:17 pm
Will multi-classing be available in the game? Also what made you go with 3.5 rules instead of 5e? I'm a fan of both I was just surprised to see a new 3.5 game.

Hi there, welcome to our forums.

We will have prestige classes but not multi-classing. You can create your party with up to 6 members (covering 69 different classes) and multi-classing would be just too much extra development effort to implement.

We are big fans of 3.5e (and of games such as ToEE and Knights of the Chalice) and until recent, the 5th edition hasn't offered a Open Game License.
Last edited: August 29, 2018, Wednesday, 09:58 am by HobGoblin42

Badman

• Beach Crab
#363 August 06, 2018, Monday, 01:26 am
Hey I appreciate the response. Game still looks good and I am a fan of 3.5 as well. I'll be sure to pick it up as soon as I can.

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Gelatinous Cube
#422 August 22, 2018, Wednesday, 04:59 pm
While I am a bit disappointed by this news, I can think of several positives as well:

Presumably this means racial "Favored Classes" are not a concern.  So you can make unconventional races / class combos like a Dwarven Wizard without having to consider XP penalties should you multiclass... because you can't multi-class.

It removes the temptation to make cheesy builds that you see people use in NWN, e.g. taking one level of a class just to get bonus feats or abilities, even if it doesn't really seem plausible lorewise or requires an alignment change or cheat to qualify for. 

No multi-classing means every party member will have a critical role to play and you can't really have a jack of all trades character who makes the others obsolete.  For ex: if you want to have someone who can effectively deal with traps and locks, you really need a thief. Fighter / Mage / Thief / Clerics are a really bad idea in 3.5 anyway.

The prestige classes will seem more prestigious and still allow us to create characters that get some multi-class like abilties without any race restrictions aside from Arcane Archer & Dwarven Defender.

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Gelatinous Cube
#454 August 29, 2018, Wednesday, 01:03 am
Hi there, welcome to our forums.

We will have prestige classes but not multi-classing. You can create your party with up to 6 members (covering 6 different classes) and multi-classing would be just too much extra development effort to implement.

If the explanation doesn't get too technical, could you elaborate on why implementing multi-classing would add too much development time?  I'm not a coder and I'm by non means a D&D expert, but I gather from ToEE and NWN the gist of multi-classing in 3.5e.  Unless I'm missing something, the main new thing this would add would be the "favored classes" and relevant XP penalties for certain races.  This doesn't seem like something that would take much effort to implement, but of course I know that things that often seem simple game features can be tricky to program.  Perhaps I'm forgetting something though...

I think a lot of people would really like multi-classing and I wonder if it'd be possible to make it a KS stretch goal if it's not something you can promise with minimal funding?

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#456 August 29, 2018, Wednesday, 10:09 am
If the explanation doesn't get too technical, could you elaborate on why implementing multi-classing would add too much development time?  I'm not a coder and I'm by non means a D&D expert, but I gather from ToEE and NWN the gist of multi-classing in 3.5e.  Unless I'm missing something, the main new thing this would add would be the "favored classes" and relevant XP penalties for certain races.  This doesn't seem like something that would take much effort to implement, but of course I know that things that often seem simple game features can be tricky to program.  Perhaps I'm forgetting something though...

I think a lot of people would really like multi-classing and I wonder if it'd be possible to make it a KS stretch goal if it's not something you can promise with minimal funding?

Beside technical restrictions inside our code base, we haven't implemented the classic 3.5e multi-classing approach because we are working on our own prestige/advance class system which is more like the one in Wizardry 7 (my personal all-time favorite class system) than the known epic/prestige classes of D&D. We want to combine the branching specializations of Wizardry 7 with the D&D prestige/epic classes.
At the end, our advanced classes will be something unique and we will most likely use different names (and not those of D&D) for the classes to not confuse the player.

Last edited: August 29, 2018, Wednesday, 10:13 am by HobGoblin42

The Old Farmer

• Marsh Goblin
#457 August 29, 2018, Wednesday, 08:32 pm
Good to hear that will be the approach to class variants, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#458 August 29, 2018, Wednesday, 08:57 pm
Good to hear that will be the approach to class variants, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

We still have a lot work to do until our advanced class system is properly designed, but it should definitely include some of the benefits multi-classing offers.

In contrast to the basic classes, our prestige/advance classes will also have a very close link to the world and its cultures/religions. Some advanced classes will be only available to members of a specific race/culture/religion/gender (e.g. a seeress is only for females from the north, a bishop only for males from the central kingdoms etc.).
Last edited: August 29, 2018, Wednesday, 09:02 pm by HobGoblin42

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#462 August 30, 2018, Thursday, 10:10 am
Beside technical restrictions inside our code base, we haven't implemented the classic 3.5e multi-classing approach because we are working on our own prestige/advance class system which is more like the one in Wizardry 7 (my personal all-time favorite class system) than the known epic/prestige classes of D&D. We want to combine the branching specializations of Wizardry 7 with the D&D prestige/epic classes.
At the end, our advanced classes will be something unique and we will most likely use different names (and not those of D&D) for the classes to not confuse the player.

I don't want to edit my earlier post,  but I need to clarify and to correct a part of it (edited the quote here): Our prestige class system derives first and foremost from the SRD 3.5e but since we neither use Forgotten Realms nor Pathfinder, we have to come up with our own classes including the required spells/feats/skills.
And in that regard, my personal favorite is Wizardry 7 (despite the fact that W7 had a completely different approach to classes anyway).
Since I am not the only system designer here and the design of our advanced class system is actually far from being completed, so, at this stage of development, I shouldn't have commented on prestige classes at all   :roll:

Last edited: August 30, 2018, Thursday, 10:18 am by HobGoblin42

The Old Farmer

• Marsh Goblin
#463 August 31, 2018, Friday, 11:52 pm
Very understandable all the info you show us now is still very much a WORK IN PROGRESS and subject to change before final release.  Still the look at the game making process is quite interesting to those of us not in the industry.

Mtl.Inq

• Marsh Goblin
#513 October 16, 2018, Tuesday, 10:15 am
our prestige/advance classes will also have a very close link to the world and its cultures/religions.

this.  :salute:

Qarlynd

• Town Guard
  • Beach Crab
#546 October 18, 2018, Thursday, 10:59 am
We are big fans of 3.5e (and of games such as ToEE and Knights of the Chalice) and until recent, the 5th edition hasn't offered a Open Game License.

While i don't mind 3.5 i realy like 5e and there is a SRD for 5e it is just afaik more limited in that it has,
so you would need to offer less options,
create your own sub clases sub races, feats and backgrounds.
or go in a more detailed licence with WotC.
But the core rules, races with one subrace as well as classes with one subclasses,
a lot of spells and monsters are there to use.
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf
Would love to see a good adaptation of the 5e rules.
Maybe think about it for a future game  ;)

Anayway, can't wait to get my hands on Realms Beyond :)

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#605 October 26, 2018, Friday, 01:20 pm
I'm actually confused: how can there be prestige classes but not multi-classing?
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

Messier-31

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#607 October 26, 2018, Friday, 03:15 pm
I'm actually confused: how can there be prestige classes but not multi-classing?

I would assume that creating a prestige class is easier than balancing a multiclass. I personally dislike multiclassing.
It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#610 October 27, 2018, Saturday, 12:22 am

I would assume that creating a prestige class is easier than balancing a multiclass. I personally dislike multiclassing.

No, my question is actually, how will this work?
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.