Author Topic: Multiclassing?

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#612 October 27, 2018, Saturday, 05:43 pm
I'm actually confused: how can there be prestige classes but not multi-classing?

I would assume that creating a prestige class is easier than balancing a multiclass. I personally dislike multiclassing.

No, my question is actually, how will this work?

Prestige classes are some kind of multiclassing (but without the xp malus), I think, that's the reason why Dark_Ansem asked.

In our game, you can only choose one prestige class beside your basic class and that is more or less a specification of the base class.
We try to use as much as possible of the known 3.5e prestiges classes but we need to make some changes as well.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#614 October 27, 2018, Saturday, 08:07 pm
I'm actually confused: how can there be prestige classes but not multi-classing?

I would assume that creating a prestige class is easier than balancing a multiclass. I personally dislike multiclassing.

No, my question is actually, how will this work?

Prestige classes are some kind of multiclassing (but without the xp malus), I think, that's the reason why Dark_Ansem asked.

In our game, you can only choose one prestige class beside your basic class and that is more or less a specification of the base class.
We try to use as much as possible of the known 3.5e prestiges classes but we need to make some changes as well.

That is what I asked. I mean, let's take for example the Mystic Theurge, or the Archmage: how would that work?
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#616 October 27, 2018, Saturday, 09:28 pm
That is what I asked. I mean, let's take for example the Mystic Theurge, or the Archmage: how would that work?

The Archmage will be solely available for Wizards, it's more or less one "advanced class" of the Wizard beside others.

The Mystic Theurge won't be part of our game, because the concept behind that prestige class simply doesn't work with our approach.

But the whole design of our prestige class system isn't finished yet and we're still evaluating many aspects.  As Pathfinder already did, we also need to find our own derivations from the 3.5e prestige classes.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#626 October 28, 2018, Sunday, 09:27 pm

The Archmage will be solely available for Wizards, it's more or less one "advanced class" of the Wizard beside others.

The Mystic Theurge won't be part of our game, because the concept behind that prestige class simply doesn't work with our approach.

But the whole design of our prestige class system isn't finished yet and we're still evaluating many aspects.  As Pathfinder already did, we also need to find our own derivations from the 3.5e prestige classes.

Thanks for the answer, but I am sad to hear that. I like the mystic The urge. Used to play them a lot.
And what about the epic prestige classes, such as the Netherese Arcanist?

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#629 October 29, 2018, Monday, 08:55 pm

The Netherese Arcanist is part of the D&D world Faerûn and therefore not covered by the Open Game License. This kind of material is copyrighted and we are not allowed to add it into our game (along with Beholders or Dracolichs for example).

Grammarsalad

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#631 October 30, 2018, Tuesday, 04:54 am

The Netherese Arcanist is part of the D&D world Faerûn and therefore not covered by the Open Game License. This kind of material is copyrighted and we are not allowed to add it into our game (along with Beholders or Dracolichs for example).

I'd love any details you can share about the class system?

I'm hoping to start thinking about the characters I want to create.

Like, I notice you call your main fighter type a warrior rather than a fighter.
In what ways, if any, will the warrior differ from the fighter?
Will it, for example, be a bit more balanced with casting classes at higher levels?

Andronius The Druid

• Gelatinous Cube
#635 October 30, 2018, Tuesday, 07:48 pm

Will it, for example, be a bit more balanced with casting classes at higher levels?

Hey there! ^_^ Grammarsalad! Right now, these eight Classes and seven Races are definitely part of the initial game release:

Under consideration are currently the Bard, the Monk and various other candidates such as the Psion. But each of those additional classes comes with some drawback, e.g. the Monk would require a lot of high quality martial combat animations , the Bard has some redundancies, etc. (we always wanted to implement the Monk and Bard, and with a very successful Kickstarter we should be able to afford them).

For now,  firstly and foremostly, we need to complete and polish the eight base classes and the related prestige classes. Especially the Rogue has some massive features, such as stealth and lockpicking, that require a lot of attention and development efforts. The Druid's Animal Companion System is a very unique feature too, that needs special treatment and consideration.

So, right now, we can't promise any additional class on top of those eight for the first release of the game. But since we plan to evolve this game over the next 10 or so years, I am sure at some point, we will see new character classes - implemented by us or by other users (our RPG framework will allow that: Early Access will include the complete Toolset, so you can already start creating your own modules, adventures, dungeons, classes or entire campaigns.).

Possible Prestige Classes are: Arcane Archer, Arcane Trickster, Archmage, Assassin, Blackguard, Cerebremancer, Dragon Disciple, Duelist, Dwarven Defender, Eldritch Knight, Elocater, Hierophant, Horizon Walker, Loremaster, Metamind, Mystic Theurge, Psion Uncarnate, Psionic Fist, Pyrokineticist, Shadowdancer, Slayer, Thaumaturgist, Thrallherd, War Mind.

But we want to combine those with elements of the advanced classes from Wizardry 7, which probably had the best character Class System ever ( Bishop!)

Regarding your question ("In what ways, if any, will the warrior differ from the fighter?") there is no Warrior class as such, there's Fighter and Barbarian; perhaps you saw a post were we were using the terms "Fighter" and "Warrior" as synonyms. Sorry for the misunderstanding. For their differences and similarities see Barbarian and Fighter.

For other classes see also D&D Wiki
Last edited: October 30, 2018, Tuesday, 08:09 pm by Andronius The Druid

Grammarsalad

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#636 October 30, 2018, Tuesday, 10:38 pm

Hey there! ^_^ Grammarsalad! Right now, these eight Classes and seven Races are definitely part of the initial game release:

Under consideration are currently the Bard, the Monk and various other candidates such as the Psion. But each of those additional classes comes with some drawback, e.g. the Monk would require a lot of high quality martial combat animations , the Bard has some redundancies, etc. (we always wanted to implement the Monk and Bard, and with a very successful Kickstarter we should be able to afford them).

For now,  firstly and foremostly, we need to complete and polish the eight base classes and the related prestige classes. Especially the Rogue has some massive features, such as stealth and lockpicking, that require a lot of attention and development efforts. The Druid's Animal Companion System is a very unique feature too, that needs special treatment and consideration.

So, right now, we can't promise any additional class on top of those eight for the first release of the game. But since we plan to evolve this game over the next 10 or so years, I am sure at some point, we will see new character classes - implemented by us or by other users (our RPG framework will allow that: Early Access will include the complete Toolset, so you can already start creating your own modules, adventures, dungeons, classes or entire campaigns.).

Possible Prestige Classes are: Arcane Archer, Arcane Trickster, Archmage, Assassin, Blackguard, Cerebremancer, Dragon Disciple, Duelist, Dwarven Defender, Eldritch Knight, Elocater, Hierophant, Horizon Walker, Loremaster, Metamind, Mystic Theurge, Psion Uncarnate, Psionic Fist, Pyrokineticist, Shadowdancer, Slayer, Thaumaturgist, Thrallherd, War Mind.

But we want to combine those with elements of the advanced classes from Wizardry 7, which probably had the best character Class System ever ( Bishop!)

Regarding your question ("In what ways, if any, will the warrior differ from the fighter?") there is no Warrior class as such, there's Fighter and Barbarian; perhaps you saw a post were we were using the terms "Fighter" and "Warrior" as synonyms. Sorry for the misunderstanding. For their differences and similarities see Barbarian and Fighter.

Lol, you're going to convince me to go right for early access, aren't you? The modder in me is really curious.

Well, I'm really intrigued by the Wizardry influence. I've only played wizardry 8, so I'm less familiar with 7.

When I think advanced classes, I think of might and magic ...8, was it?
Looked it up, or was mm7.  Anyway, loved that class system.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#651 October 31, 2018, Wednesday, 10:15 pm

Lol, you're going to convince me to go right for early access, aren't you? The modder in me is really curious.

Well, I'm really intrigued by the Wizardry influence. I've only played wizardry 8, so I'm less familiar with 7.

When I think advanced classes, I think of might and magic ...8, was it?
Looked it up, or was mm7.  Anyway, loved that class system.

I wouldn't back this game without the early access!

Andronius The Druid

• Gelatinous Cube
#657 November 01, 2018, Thursday, 05:03 am

^_^ I should hope so! presently there are (just to give you an idea) +800 ingame items and +2,100 environment objects for you guys to play with in the Editor, without mentioning +100 spells, many monsters and so many assets and VFX and SFX... If the Kickstarter is very successful these numbers should hopefully increase greatly, together with new classes and, eventually, some nice features people have been suggesting  ( Housing? ).

I wouldn't back this game without the early access!

^_^  The idea of releasing the tools right from the beginning is to give you guys the freedom to start creating awesome stuff from day 1. Hopefully (I can't promise anything though, it's not my territory) there'll be some nice beginner tutorials with the Level Editor and Dialogue Editor (I certainly need them!), and perhaps some committed modders will help the community sharing their own scripting tutorials, their own tricks and so on. That's the idea. Some people have already shared some nice ideas for spells: they'll be able to create those with the tools, as well as virtually any class they want. So, who knows what people will come up with? Fingers crossed guys, and please let's keep sharing the Kickstarter.

Nanashi

• Marsh Goblin
#659 November 01, 2018, Thursday, 05:24 am
How would dual advancement classes (Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight, Mystic Theurge) even work without multiclassing?

Some basic housing wouldn't need a stretch goal to implement. Just have a building in some of the major/more central settlements the player can buy which gives a free place to rest and some containers is more than sufficient for most players. Not having something to that effect is a bit weird when backtracking isn't restricted and the game isn't time limited. Arcanum and Morrowind had places you could squat, but never officially own even though you spent loads of time in the major cities.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#693 November 04, 2018, Sunday, 10:17 am
My two cents: there should be either a "one class" or "multiclass" approach, with prestige classes. Please avoid arbitrary stuff such as what happened in the KOTOR games.

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#804 November 14, 2018, Wednesday, 05:38 pm
Will multi-classing be available in the game? Also what made you go with 3.5 rules instead of 5e? I'm a fan of both I was just surprised to see a new 3.5 game.

Hi there, welcome to our forums.

We will have prestige classes but not multi-classing. You can create your party with up to 6 members (covering 69 different classes) and multi-classing would be just too much extra development effort to implement.

We are big fans of 3.5e (and of games such as ToEE and Knights of the Chalice) and until recent, the 5th edition hasn't offered a Open Game License.

Prestige classes? How many prestige classes? Just saw post with prestige classess listed! YAY!

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#805 November 14, 2018, Wednesday, 05:53 pm
Will multi-classing be available in the game? Also what made you go with 3.5 rules instead of 5e? I'm a fan of both I was just surprised to see a new 3.5 game.

We will have prestige classes but not multi-classing. You can create your party with up to 6 members (covering 69 different classes) and multi-classing would be just too much extra development effort to implement.

We are big fans of 3.5e (and of games such as ToEE and Knights of the Chalice) and until recent, the 5th edition hasn't offered a Open Game License.

Prestige classes? How many prestige classes? Just saw post with prestige classess listed! YAY!

But not multiclass!

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#808 November 14, 2018, Wednesday, 06:12 pm

But not multiclass!

Well, I only wonder how will they implement prestige without multiclassing, but we'll see.