Author Topic: Spell Area/Range vs Caster Level and Material Components

randomjoe

• Beach Crab
#401 August 12, 2018, Sunday, 03:29 pm
Regarding the area of effect of the spells, is it standard regardless of the caster's level, or does it differ according to that level? If it doesn't differ, the spellcaster classes are a bit overpowered, I think.
Last edited: August 12, 2018, Sunday, 04:29 pm by HobGoblin42

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Ogre Zombie
#402 August 12, 2018, Sunday, 03:47 pm
Regarding the area of effect of the spells, is it standard regardless of the caster's level, or does it differ according to that level? If it doesn't differ, the spellcaster classes are a bit overpowered, I think.

That depends on the specific spell. Some spell areas grow with the caster level, other area spells last longer the higher the level is (e.g. the Stinking Cloud) but most spells just become more effective. The areas shown in combat video are not final yet, we actually decreased the range of the web lately.

Just one example from our in-game spellbook (the user interface is still work in progress!):

Last edited: August 12, 2018, Sunday, 04:40 pm by HobGoblin42

AbounI

• Marsh Goblin
#403 August 12, 2018, Sunday, 03:54 pm
M like material components? Hell yeah ! AFAIK, that 's the 1st time in cRPG history.

randomjoe

• Beach Crab
#404 August 12, 2018, Sunday, 03:56 pm
Thanks for clarifying this aspect! I really like the design of the spells within the spellbook.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Ogre Zombie
#405 August 12, 2018, Sunday, 04:05 pm
M like material components? Hell yeah ! AFAIK, that 's the 1st time in cRPG history.

Material Components are still in the design phase because they have a lot impact to the overall gameplay. But since wizards are already overpowered in D&D3.5e at higher level, requiring those constraints could be a good compensation.

AbounI

• Marsh Goblin
#406 August 12, 2018, Sunday, 04:10 pm

Material Components are still in the design phase because they have a lot impact to the overall gameplay. But since wizards are already overpowered in D&D3.5e at higher level, requiring those constraints could be a good compensation.
That I totally agree  :obviously:
Well, it seems some oldschool cRPG did that before, but I honestly can't remember, that's too far in the past for me
Last edited: August 12, 2018, Sunday, 04:41 pm by AbounI

daveyd

• Marsh Goblin
#418 August 14, 2018, Tuesday, 05:01 am

That I totally agree  :obviously:
Well, it seems some oldschool cRPG did that before, but I honestly can't remember, that's too far in the past for me

Only thing that comes to mind is the NWN modules Almraiven and Shadewood, which consume components when you use certain spells.

ToEE would deduct gold for using certain spells to simulate the cost of spell components. 

StoneAgeArtisan

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#419 August 14, 2018, Tuesday, 03:09 pm

Ultima IV & V required you to collect and mix specific "reagents" in order to cast spells. Each spell had it's own unique recipe, so spells were more like one-time use crafted potions/items. It was a good way to prevent abuse of magic for that world, but I think I prefer the D&D method over that (it's less grind-ish.)