Author Topic: Exploring the World #3: Camp and Survival Part 2

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#1924 October 28, 2019, Monday, 10:23 am
Resting is a very tricky mechanic in video games and very rarely did it implemented correctly. In procedurally generated games and rogue-likes, games with perma-death or expendable party members (games that are of the last decade mostly) works great, because it usually gives you some limited meaningful choices (think in Darkest Dungeon or Slay the Spire). In story-driven games, on the other hand, is always a tedious and pointless system. Never ever did I liked resting in any kind of these gaems. Pathfinder made it interesting for me, but only in local areas (not world map) because there was unique party banter. When you play a game with a fixed storyline, locations etc, you don't want to spend time bothering with were to eat or fish etc, even if hunger or thirst or exhaustion are implemented in the games core mechanics, because you want to progress the story and the characters and you will never ever lose a party member to mundane stuff such as hunger etc. You will just reload the game or travel back to a village and resupply or whatever and this makes the game a slog and feeling out of focus. I also don't like per-rest spell mechanics in video games. They suck - but this is another topic :P

In any case, I really do hope the devs have a neat idea as how to implement resting and I really hope it works great and maybe as an example for future games - 'cause I like it as an "idea" a lot!
Last edited: January 24, 2020, Friday, 10:48 pm by Sapistas

RedPaladin

• Beach Crab
#1926 October 29, 2019, Tuesday, 06:08 pm
Resting is a very tricky mechanic in video games and very rarely did it implemented correctly. In procedurally generated games and rogue-likes, games with perma-death or expendable party members (games that are of the last decade mostly) works great, because it usually gives you some limited meaningful choices (think in Darkest Dungeon or Slay the Spire). In story-driven games, on the other hand, is always a tedious and pointless system. Never ever did I liked resting in any kind of these gaems. Pathfinder made it interesting for me, but only in local areas (not world map) because there was unique party banter. When you play a game with a fixed storyline, locations etc, you don't want to spend time bothering with were to eat or fish etc, even if hunger or thirst or exhaustion are implemented in the games core mechanics, because you want to progress the story and the characters and you will never ever lose a party member to mundane stuff such as hunger etc. You will just reload the game or travel back to a village and resupply or whatever and this makes the game a slog and feeling out of focus. I also don't like pre-rest spell mechanics in video games. They suck - but this is another topic :P

In any case, I really do hope the devs have a neat idea as how to implement resting and I really hope it works great and maybe as an example for future games - 'cause I like it as an "idea" a lot!
The camp system was implemented more than a year ago. What we want, or, in a selfish opinion, they want to remove from the game what they do not like, is too late to ask and reflect. It is already there. I want the rest or not, like in children. A camp system was proposed prior to fundraising. All etol suited! Why ask for what is not feasible. Or do you think that any person’s desire is law and respect? Yes. I agree. BUT then what will we do with the desires of other people? They also invested money, and they are satisfied with what has already been implemented! The delirium of egoists is not a topic. A choice was suggested in the difficulty mode at the beginning of the game. There is no other way. Understand, everyone here loves themselves. I am sure that the developers will take this into account.
Sorry for my English )

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#2062 December 22, 2019, Sunday, 09:54 pm
Resting is a very tricky mechanic in video games and very rarely did it implemented correctly. In procedurally generated games and rogue-likes, games with perma-death or expendable party members (games that are of the last decade mostly) works great, because it usually gives you some limited meaningful choices (think in Darkest Dungeon or Slay the Spire). In story-driven games, on the other hand, is always a tedious and pointless system. Never ever did I liked resting in any kind of these gaems. Pathfinder made it interesting for me, but only in local areas (not world map) because there was unique party banter. When you play a game with a fixed storyline, locations etc, you don't want to spend time bothering with were to eat or fish etc, even if hunger or thirst or exhaustion are implemented in the games core mechanics, because you want to progress the story and the characters and you will never ever lose a party member to mundane stuff such as hunger etc. You will just reload the game or travel back to a village and resupply or whatever and this makes the game a slog and feeling out of focus. I also don't like pre-rest spell mechanics in video games. They suck - but this is another topic :P

The camp system was implemented more than a year ago. What we want, or, in a selfish opinion, they want to remove from the game what they do not like, is too late to ask and reflect. It is already there. I want the rest or not, like in children. A camp system was proposed prior to fundraising. All etol suited! Why ask for what is not feasible. Or do you think that any person’s desire is law and respect? Yes. I agree. BUT then what will we do with the desires of other people? They also invested money, and they are satisfied with what has already been implemented! The delirium of egoists is not a topic. A choice was suggested in the difficulty mode at the beginning of the game. There is no other way. Understand, everyone here loves themselves. I am sure that the developers will take this into account.

Where do I say I demand it to be removed? :)

S-man

• Marsh Goblin
#2063 December 24, 2019, Tuesday, 01:56 am
I am not sure, there might be the option to buy rations (limited by str and money), but what I really remember about resting was the resting system in NWN2:MotB, if you rest you would lose soul points and if you failed you could lose a large amount of xp or die if you managed it poorly. I just thought it would be wrong if I didn't mention it, but there has to be some kind of limiting factor. 

Another option is enemies, resting might also be limited by enemies, but not like in other dnd games(aside from MOTB), I suppose the best example of enemies hampering an ability to rest hasn't really been implemented well in dnd rpgs as they only might attack when you press rest like in bg1/sod/2, iwd1/2, etc.  FE might be the best as resting for too long might lock you out of the best ending or the enemies will just keep attacking on the better designed maps.

Removal might not be in keeping with the tropes of the game, what are the limiting factors of the game, ie the economic limited resources in the story?

rojay

• Beach Crab
#2072 December 29, 2019, Sunday, 06:39 pm
I like the system you've set up - can you elaborate on the abilities/skills that will affect various camp tasks? Will there be specific hunting/fishing/foraging skills?

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#2104 January 23, 2020, Thursday, 11:06 pm
I like the system you've set up - can you elaborate on the abilities/skills that will affect various camp tasks? Will there be specific hunting/fishing/foraging skills?

I can't explain details yet, but, yes, those actions based on skills and related character attributes. But character values aside, the equipment is also relevant for the efficiency of your actions while camping (e.g. a fishing rod, cooking pot, traps).

kanisatha

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#2109 January 25, 2020, Saturday, 04:14 pm

I can't explain details yet, but, yes, those actions based on skills and related character attributes. But character values aside, the equipment is also relevant for the efficiency of your actions while camping (e.g. a fishing rod, cooking pot, traps).
Oh that's awesome. I've always loved it when completely mundane no-value items end up having some meaningful use in a game, where it's up to you to discover that usefulness.

fantossen

• Town Guard
  • Beach Crab
#2110 January 25, 2020, Saturday, 06:15 pm
I can not wait to play this game.

By the end of this month the battledemo will come to us?

Keep up the good work