Author Topic: General Requests for Game Content

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1203 January 18, 2019, Friday, 07:15 am
Greetings, all!

I'm a recent backer to Realms Beyond since I only leanred of this after the Kickstarter ended.  (I apologize if this post is in the wrong area, and I request the moderators move it as prudent.)

1: I'd greatly like to be able to use the vast majority of SRD spells, including the ones I listed as part of this mod's list of requested features.  (Ignore the Pathfinder-specific ones if you like.)  This means often-neglected spells such as planar binding, plane shift, teleport, polymorph, shapechange, wall of force, wall of stone, move earth, and soften earth and stone.  It also means the more obscure spells from the Psionic and Divine sections of the SRD.

2: Another high-priority request is the ability to purchase property and build structures.  Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a recent and overt inspiration for this, but I've wanted to be a combination adventurer and landlord/mayor for a long time now and only rare games have allowed me to do this.  (Some of the aforementioned spells can help in base building, like wall of stone.)  The Pathfinder SRD has kingdom building rules.

3: I'd further like to be able to use the vast majority of the SRD's content, such as the psionic classes, PrCs, the Bard, and perhaps invoking some divine rules!

4: I bought Knights of the Chalice (and later finished and enjoyed it) with the keywords of "D&D 3.5", "turn-based", and "level 1-20 adventure."  I would very much like the main campaign to end at level 20 or higher!

5: While I've been undecided on this point, learning toward "please don't force it," I'm also curious if the game will be continuously running on the same save, akin to an MMORPG, where players can't reload until they receive their desired results.  (Some games call this Ironman or Campaign Mode.)  I'd like the option of Ironman mode.

6: I'm also torn on this idea:  Multiple separate player-made and player-run parties in a single world.  Some people like it, but I'd probably rather just focus on one party.  This notion becomes more appealing if we can't reload away our previous mistakes, but instead can return to where a previous party wiped and recover their stuff.

7: How will EXP generation and splitting work?  The default 3.5 assumption is that each EXP award is split evenly among all party members, but the difference in character effective level and the CR determines EXP.  This implicitly encourages people to squat at level 3 to gain EXP faster until they're forced or heavily encouraged to gain a level.

8: Do craft feats exist?  I'd greatly like to make items this way, as well as mundane items (adamantine, mithral, etc.)

9: As a balance concern, I'd like for non-casters to be fun and interesting as well!  I'm concerned that making a party of Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, and Druid has already solved the game.

10: I'd like Wizard specializations - and the Unearthed Arcana variants - to be in the game.

11: I'd like 3.5-style multiclassing eventually, even if it isn't available at launch.

12: I'd like the option at least of randomly-generated worlds, dungeons, and towns.

Finally, thank you for making such a spiffy game!
Last edited: January 18, 2019, Friday, 07:24 am by Endarire

Tharagavverug

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#1336 February 04, 2019, Monday, 01:51 pm
Greetings, all!

I'm a recent backer to Realms Beyond since I only leanred of this after the Kickstarter ended.  (I apologize if this post is in the wrong area, and I request the moderators move it as prudent.)

1: I'd greatly like to be able to use the vast majority of SRD spells, including the ones I listed as part of this mod's list of requested features.  (Ignore the Pathfinder-specific ones if you like.)  This means often-neglected spells such as planar binding, plane shift, teleport, polymorph, shapechange, wall of force, wall of stone, move earth, and soften earth and stone.  It also means the more obscure spells from the Psionic and Divine sections of the SRD.

We have plenty of spells already implemented, with some of the more Forgotten Realms specific ones we'll have to see whether they fit into our world (anything to do with planes, for example). Psionics are not included, though, the Psion might have been another stretch goal in the campaign after the monk, but it's not something we even remotely reached so he won't be in. Reason for that is that psionics would require us to implement additional separate spellcasting mechanics for psions, which work differently to wizards and clerics.

2: Another high-priority request is the ability to purchase property and build structures.  Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a recent and overt inspiration for this, but I've wanted to be a combination adventurer and landlord/mayor for a long time now and only rare games have allowed me to do this.  (Some of the aforementioned spells can help in base building, like wall of stone.)  The Pathfinder SRD has kingdom building rules.

Purchasing property or coming into its possession by other means (by marriage, or by being granted a deed by a king) is possible, yes. Building structures, however, is unlikely or if at all, it will only be to a limited extent. Something like managing the D'Arnise Hold in BG2 could make it into the game, but nothing on the scale of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The focus of the game is adventuring, not city-building, and implementing all the necessary mechanics for a properly engaging town management feature wouldn't be feasible.

3: I'd further like to be able to use the vast majority of the SRD's content, such as the psionic classes, PrCs, the Bard, and perhaps invoking some divine rules!

Currently, the classes we have shown in the Kickstarter pitch are the only playable ones. We might add additional classes like the bard later as part of expansion packs, but for the original release of the game, they won't be in. We already have plenty of things to implement into the game, and classes such as bards, psionics, monks require additional mechanics and animations.

4: I bought Knights of the Chalice (and later finished and enjoyed it) with the keywords of "D&D 3.5", "turn-based", and "level 1-20 adventure."  I would very much like the main campaign to end at level 20 or higher!

The level cap will be around level 15 or so. If the game is successful, we want to release some expansion packs that add new regions of the world for your party to explore, and extend the level cap into the 20s.

5: While I've been undecided on this point, learning toward "please don't force it," I'm also curious if the game will be continuously running on the same save, akin to an MMORPG, where players can't reload until they receive their desired results.  (Some games call this Ironman or Campaign Mode.)  I'd like the option of Ironman mode.

We might implement an optional iron man mode, yes. But the standard, non iron man mode will allow you to save anywhere, anytime (except in the middle of combat). It's an entirely optional thing for those players who want it.

6: I'm also torn on this idea:  Multiple separate player-made and player-run parties in a single world.  Some people like it, but I'd probably rather just focus on one party.  This notion becomes more appealing if we can't reload away our previous mistakes, but instead can return to where a previous party wiped and recover their stuff.

You play one party with which you explore the world. Any kind of multi-party mechanics would be way too much work to implement and be far beyond the scope of this game, as well as outside of the design goal of this game.

7: How will EXP generation and splitting work?  The default 3.5 assumption is that each EXP award is split evenly among all party members, but the difference in character effective level and the CR determines EXP.  This implicitly encourages people to squat at level 3 to gain EXP faster until they're forced or heavily encouraged to gain a level.

I'll have HobGoblin42 answer this one, he knows the details of the systems better than I.

8: Do craft feats exist?  I'd greatly like to make items this way, as well as mundane items (adamantine, mithral, etc.)

No, the player will be able to craft consumables (potions, bandages, scrolls, wands) but not equipment items. We find it rather unrealistic that adventurers focused on adventuring, being experts at combat, magic, and diplomacy, also have the time to become master craftsmen on the same level as a blacksmith who has been working the forge for 20 years... also it sabotages the itemization of a game. Why delve into the deepest dungeons in search of legendary ancient weapons, if you can forge something equivalent by yourself?

9: As a balance concern, I'd like for non-casters to be fun and interesting as well!  I'm concerned that making a party of Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, and Druid has already solved the game.

With the 3.5 ruleset, fighters can be pretty interesting too! We'll also have prestige classes for high level characters, which will also include some interesting non-caster classes.

12: I'd like the option at least of randomly-generated worlds, dungeons, and towns.

No, there won't be any randomization, and there is no randomization planned for any expansions or DLC either. We want to deliver a fully hand-crafted world with hand-crafted quests and items. Procedural generation never manages to create anything as interesting as deliberately hand-placed content, and having randomized dungeons just isn't within the scope of our game.
Then Leothric said: "What is Tharagavverug's food?"

And the magician of Allathurion said: "His food is men."

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1338 February 04, 2019, Monday, 10:14 pm
Thankee for your reply!

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1390 February 16, 2019, Saturday, 09:50 am
While the campaign doesn't go above 15, I second the request to not hard-code level cap and related mechanics.
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1394 February 16, 2019, Saturday, 04:24 pm
I've always found the purchase of structures and internal furnishings in cRPGs to be rather uninteresting. It seems like a waste of resources to implement, unless it serves some greater role-playing purpose.

Cathmor1973

• Beach Crab
#1710 August 01, 2019, Thursday, 04:56 am
I request blood and gore to be featured into this awesome looking game officially.
Cathmor1973.

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#1712 August 01, 2019, Thursday, 04:33 pm
"Why delve into the deepest dungeons in search of legendary ancient weapons, if you can forge something equivalent by yourself?"

The reason I quit exploring in Skyrim from mid-game on. Items I could craft were far better than the ones I found in crypts :P

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1714 August 03, 2019, Saturday, 09:16 pm
I request blood and gore to be featured into this awesome looking game officially.

I think some is already in, but not much?
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

Panpiper

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1724 August 11, 2019, Sunday, 04:21 am
Nothing kills my motivation to play a game harder than level caps. If you don't have the time to code in specific 'rules' for exceeding a certain level (like adding in the higher level spells), then just forgo them, but put in the relatively tiny effort necessary to chart in extra HP gain, THACO changes, etc., so we don't think we are about to hit a wall where our continued play no longer means anything.

I too enjoy the option to adopt and improve upon a village/castle/fief.

Stoltzy92

• Town Guard
  • Beach Crab
#1757 August 25, 2019, Sunday, 09:43 am
I am curious about those prestige classes and how they work. If possible I think it would be cool to see if each base class has more than one possible prestige class they can go into (at least having 2 possible prestige classes for each base class, though I would not want any higher than 3 per class.)

Panpiper

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1759 August 25, 2019, Sunday, 01:09 pm
Anything that adds player choice and therefor variety and individualization is a good thing. The more the better.

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1820 September 19, 2019, Thursday, 01:33 am
Anything that adds player choice and therefor variety and individualization is a good thing. The more the better.

I'd like to see some race-specific feats, like they had in Unearthed Arcana. Just something to add a little racial uniqueness.

Panpiper

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1821 September 19, 2019, Thursday, 04:44 pm
I am looking forward to what modders will be able to add.

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1826 September 21, 2019, Saturday, 07:24 pm
When I find a scroll for a spell I already have, I usually end up selling it for cash. Instead, inside containers, I'd like to discover scrolls with metamagic feats applied, particularly enlarge, extend, heighten, silent, and maximize. This will make them more tactically useful and interesting. Thanks.

Panpiper

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1833 September 25, 2019, Wednesday, 04:23 pm
When I find a scroll for a spell I already have, I usually end up selling it for cash. Instead, inside containers, I'd like to discover scrolls with metamagic feats applied, particularly enlarge, extend, heighten, silent, and maximize. This will make them more tactically useful and interesting. Thanks.

Oh! That's a nice idea!