Author Topic: General Requests for Game Content

Vision

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#2108 January 24, 2020, Friday, 04:39 pm
I - and most of the others in the team - enjoyed BG2 and like D&D at mid to high level, but even there is still a level cap (around 25 or so is where most DMs would call a campaign quits). D&D has never been intended to be a system where you can level up infinitely until you are level 100 or so. It's very clearly designed to be within a certain range. Once you go past the 20s there isn't a lot of interesting character development left to do. Your fighter has unlocked all useful fighter feats at that point, your wizard has unlocked even the highest spell levels, there's nowhere left to go other than adding +1 BAB, + 1d10 HP, +1 spell slot etc.

In the D&D system there is no point to leveling past a certain range, so a level cap makes sense.

In the pen and paper system, once your party has become powerful enough to stop the Tarrasque there's no place left to go.

Earning points for leveling up is lazy and makes absolutely no sense within a complex playable, experiencable story/world context. It´s great for pen and paper but for a modern cRPG? Why?

I am so sceptical and at the same time teased with your project...its terribel :) :) :)

I m 36 years and not a developper, so i can t answer from a business point of view.. Earning points for leveling up isn t compatible with open world at least secondary quests will be rewarded with magic stuff. I agree with you, it seems a lot of work without any real advantages for players. You can also adjust xp system letting the player decide among heroes which will level up along the game (it would be more simple and less drastic as remove entirely).
Last edited: January 25, 2020, Saturday, 05:34 pm by malax

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2117 January 28, 2020, Tuesday, 11:51 pm
wrote: nichttuntun

Earning points for leveling up is lazy and makes absolutely no sense within a complex playable, experiencable story/world context. It´s great for pen and paper but for a modern cRPG? Why?

Hmm, if not gaining points to level up then what character progression system would you prefer?

I know it has become more popular in recent years to make RPGs where you just accumulate points to spend towards increasing skills or abilities rather than "leveling up" but I think that approach tends to work best for classless games. But overall I don't really think one approach is necessarily better or worse, just different.
Last edited: January 28, 2020, Tuesday, 11:53 pm by daveyd

S-man

• Marsh Goblin
#2118 January 30, 2020, Thursday, 03:20 am
The only other system, aside from investing points earned like in tw:wh1-2, skyrim, ESO, and wow, I know would be the systems present in game like qfg series and ff2, where as you use a skill it would level up. 

But there is one thing more which might be interesting and could be of use to the game present in nwn2, dos2, and both poe games.  That if you accomplish something the team or main character gains access to a feat unique to what was achieved.

Cernu

• Beach Crab
#2119 January 30, 2020, Thursday, 12:54 pm
The system I use in all my mods is mixed. PLayers learn by doing (and failing, if they succeed an int roll). However, they can also take lessons, that will directly give them points, or they can receive teachings. Teachings will vastly increase the rates at which they will learn by doing ("hey, I remember that !").
Another thing I thought is very important, is that legendary level should REALLY feel legendary, and allow special abilities.
One thousand leagues Adventure starts with a step.

Vision

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#2146 February 05, 2020, Wednesday, 08:29 am
Could the editor allow you to have a part of the campaign dedicated to one or two character ?
 For example, our heroes find a well in a dark dungeon but you have to decide which hero can go down (with a climb dice roll, some heroes could fall and get heavy damage) ;
or they have opportunity of entering in a house to steal some stuff but you have more chance to suceed using only your thief ?
or an oracle ask them to answer to riddle / enigma so they have an intelligence dice roll (same, heavy damage if they fail)
or they have to cross snow-capped mountains (stamina dice roll)
etc...
Last edited: February 05, 2020, Wednesday, 08:57 am by Vision

Ogre

• Marsh Goblin
#2150 February 05, 2020, Wednesday, 02:16 pm

Nomnomnom ! Me smash you die !! Ogre stronk !!! Ogre play with char !!!! Nom nom omnom !!!!!

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2172 February 19, 2020, Wednesday, 10:31 pm
Could the editor allow you to have a part of the campaign dedicated to one or two character ?
 For example, our heroes find a well in a dark dungeon but you have to decide which hero can go down (with a climb dice roll, some heroes could fall and get heavy damage) ;
or they have opportunity of entering in a house to steal some stuff but you have more chance to suceed using only your thief ?
or an oracle ask them to answer to riddle / enigma so they have an intelligence dice roll (same, heavy damage if they fail)
or they have to cross snow-capped mountains (stamina dice roll)
etc...

IIRC it has been said that you can't completely separate your party members, i.e., basically "you must gather your party before venturing forth".  And if you want to drop a party member it would probably be permanent.  That said, I'm pretty sure you can have one of your party members scout ahead or whatever as long as the rest of the party is still in the same area / map.  So presumably your rogue could sneak around and deal with traps, locks, pick pockets etc. while the rest of the party remains in another room on the same building / level.    Also dialogue is currently set up so you choose which character will do the talking so any skill checks in dialogue would be based on the stats of that specific character.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#2174 February 21, 2020, Friday, 11:49 am
IIRC it has been said that you can't completely separate your party members, i.e., basically "you must gather your party before venturing forth".  And if you want to drop a party member it would probably be permanent.  That said, I'm pretty sure you can have one of your party members scout ahead or whatever as long as the rest of the party is still in the same area / map.  So presumably your rogue could sneak around and deal with traps, locks, pick pockets etc. while the rest of the party remains in another room on the same building / level.    Also dialogue is currently set up so you choose which character will do the talking so any skill checks in dialogue would be based on the stats of that specific character.

That's correct, you can always choose to move with just one of your party members inside a map. But leaving or entering levels can be only accomplished as whole party, like in the classic Infinity Engine Games.

Ovrki1

• Beach Crab
#2182 February 24, 2020, Monday, 09:30 am
if you want to drop a party member it would probably be permanent.

Has this been confirmed?  I read somewhere that you could come back for dropped party members.  For example, you're not happy with the usefulness of a particular somebody in a certain area so you switch him/her out, only to come back for them at a later time.  Not sure if this a good design choice or not, though I'm all for it either way.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#2184 February 28, 2020, Friday, 08:09 pm
if you want to drop a party member it would probably be permanent.

Has this been confirmed?  I read somewhere that you could come back for dropped party members.  For example, you're not happy with the usefulness of a particular somebody in a certain area so you switch him/her out, only to come back for them at a later time.  Not sure if this a good design choice or not, though I'm all for it either way.

That part of member recruiting is not implemented yet, but we plan to enable the player to rehire previously dismissed characters, e.g. in taverns or guild houses.

S-man

• Marsh Goblin
#2192 March 03, 2020, Tuesday, 12:47 am
Will there be a system like in BG1/2 where evil characters leave with good rep or good characters leave with bad reputation?  Also maybe characters tied to choices in the game such as most of the companions in DA2? 

SinisterXOne

• Town Guard
  • Beach Crab
#2200 March 04, 2020, Wednesday, 08:39 pm
I request blood and gore to be featured into this awesome looking game officially.

Seconded.