Author Topic: Worries on Spells power

malax

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1316 February 01, 2019, Friday, 12:34 pm
Hello Ceres Games !!!

I ve some worries on how spells can be classified as mandatory, due to the area size of effect and their saving throw difficulty.

Some days ago, i watched again your alpha combat video and even i was sure you have added new features, i was convinced this fight could be an easy won if you were fighting against weaker warriors (with less force.. because the saving throw of web spell seems high to me : DD20) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvc2NdR_1O0

As every players i hate RPG games when you know which spells you must use in loop. I m not familiar with 3.5 Rules but i ve played a lot with 3rd edition and i know how some spells can break a party during table games and when a dungeon master must cheat to avoid the game of ending.

I really enjoy the Dungeon and Dragon contents but i can t believe every spells has been tested with different fights context, and we all know here how much work has been done by gibberlings community to balance things after Baldur 's gate released.

Is my worries legit ? Will the game punish you if you don t have these mandatories spells ?

Sry for language,

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1332 February 03, 2019, Sunday, 11:15 pm
Greetings, malax!  Worry not about language!

D&D 3.5, especially in its core rules (which the OGL/Open Gaming License mostly is), favors full casters heavily.  I can't yet fairly state how Realms Beyond is different from core rules, but Why each Class is in its Tier explains things well.  (It includes far more material than core-only.)

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1354 February 08, 2019, Friday, 04:26 pm
This is only true for the PnP, in say NWN spellcasters were severely underpowered compared to fighters.
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1397 February 18, 2019, Monday, 01:18 am
It depends a lot on the level range; wizards do start off as one of the weakest combat characters.

malax

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1416 February 22, 2019, Friday, 01:59 pm
Hello Ceres,

I would like to explain in details what are my worries so i have few questions :

Is the maximum level cap equal to 13 or 20 ? (sry cause the answer already exist in your forum)
Do you implement Chain lightining and Fireball delayed blast ?
And basically, are parameters evocation spells a lot different from the original SRD3.5e ? 

Good afternoon,

malax

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1422 February 23, 2019, Saturday, 06:47 pm

In this table we can take a look at the power of well known spells as Magic missiles, fireball and chain lightining. I ve done the spell damage per round for 3 hits with fireball and 5,6 and 7 hits with chain lightining.

Even if Fireball hits only 3 ennemies, you can see that the burst damage is a multiple of 5 in comparaison of Magic missile. Due to the huge ratio between Magic missile and Fireball, Chain lightining seems not so bad with a kinda linearity of damage.

I ve been also very disappointed with PoE cause the leveling of experience isn t at all kinda logarithmic, so i started with my hero with fun spells with hope to get a smooth and challlenging experience in picking and using spells but first levels were too short to enjoy how much the game could be rich.

There s a huge  step of power when you get Fireball or Chain lightining ...  :?

Post Scriptum:
It s strange to notice Fireball scale faster than Magic Missile (with dices per level), a solution could be :
Magic Missille : 1D3+1  AND 1D3+1 / level    (min: 4 ; max=13.5)
Fireball : 1D8 / 2 level  (min = 40.5 ; max = 81)

Last edited: February 23, 2019, Saturday, 08:57 pm by malax