Author Topic: Info about toolset (UrWelt engine)

MadBeard

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1352 February 08, 2019, Friday, 12:45 am
I'm writing this topic to gather all info about modding tools in one place. It will be easier for newcomers to understand what can you do with modding tools.
So, I'll start with a list and everyone is welcome to correct me and add more stuff. And I'll update the first post accordingly.

INFO FROM KICKSTARTER PAGE

Along with the game, we will also release our editing tools (the UrWelt Engine) to the players so they can create their own worlds and campaigns. Modders will be able to use the very same level editor and dialogue editor that we are using to create the game, allowing them to forge new campaigns and even new worlds with the same level of complexity as our own.

It is also possible to import your own character models, objects, textures and sounds – so a dedicated team of modders could create a completely different game scenario. We want our modding tools to be as flexible as possible, comparable to the legendary toolsets of Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures and Neverwinter Nights. The core of the UrWelt framework is the level editor, which allows you to create your own maps – from small ones with 48x48 tiles (about 5,000 m2) to gigantic ones with 512x512 tiles (about 600,000 m2). The ground can be raised or lowered to create a flat or hilly landscape, and textured and decorated with decals. Buildings can be constructed from modular walls and objects can be placed freely on the map. To create an encounter, just place a group of enemies on the map and set them to hostile. You can also place sources of light with adjustable intensity and shadows, impressive visual effects, flocks of birds, shoals of fish, lively critters, and ambient sounds to spice up the atmosphere of your map. The editor is easy to get into, and extremely powerful once you master it.

With our dialogue editor, you can write complex branching dialogues and create NPCs who react to everything the player is doing and saying. Want an NPC to laugh at the player for wearing a funny hat? You can script that. Want a dialogue option that only appears if the player has a score of 18 in charisma? You can script that. Want an NPC who refuses to talk to you unless you gift her a bouquet of flowers? You can script that.

SCRIPTING

• We're using AngelScript as scripting language for environment objects, puzzles, items, spells, traps, NPC behavior, dialogue conditions/actions, etc.
    There will be wiki for modding tools. At the moment is work in progress.
  • You can change the script of any environmental object as you wish, that includes doors, chests, traps, statues, etc.
  • It is possible to create puzzle chest like Moredhel chest in Betrayal at Krondor.
  • You can create language translating/deciphering puzzles.

AI
  • You can change some of the AI template parameters dynamically, we have parameters like  HarmAllies, HarmSelf, KnowFriendFromFoe, KillerInstinct, AttackDying, KeepRangedDistance, TargetChoice, etc.
    Since we simulate the outcome of spells by AI casters, it automatically takes weaknesses and immunities of their targets into account and adjust the evaluation scores accordingly.

SCRIPTED SCENES (ala Pillars of Eternity)

• We have a similar system for world and map events. You can even create generated text based on gameplay related date e.g. time of day, location.
    But the system isn't finished yet, because we're still working on the script interface to allow even more options.

CAMPAIGN

• You can create your own adventures, campaigns or even entire worlds.
  • If you want to  modify the main campaign, you can create a copy of it and change as much as you want. But you can't alter the original campaign files with modifications.

CLASSES

• For your own mod/campaign/world, you can modify existing classes or clone them and create a new variant from it.

PARTY SIZE

• You can configure the character setup for your own adventures/modules individually. We store all those variables in configuration files. If you want, you can even make a single character game.

FEATS
  • Feats can be modified, and new feats can be added.
    Some feats require are very deep integration in the core game code, for example, Whirlwind Attack but the majority of feats can be implemented with one or more modifiers.
    We've opened the rule system as much as possible, but for some very unique feats, you possibly still need to add customized code.

ITEMS

• Along with "normal" items, you can create items that gain power by performing rituals or items can be upgraded in some way.

MONSTERS

• You can create your own monsters from the scratch, all attributes, feats, actions, spells, equipment, 3d meshes and animations included.
Last edited: February 19, 2019, Tuesday, 03:16 pm by MadBeard
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

MadBeard

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1403 February 19, 2019, Tuesday, 03:17 pm
Added info about Feats
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.