Author Topic: Wizards, Casters, Learnable Scrolls and Learning Spells from Scrolls

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1362 February 12, 2019, Tuesday, 09:49 am
Greetings, all!

For casters in this game who learn spells from scrolls (Wizard by default but may include other casters), I have these requests done for the sake of convenience and player quality of life:

-If this character can learn this spell from a scroll, he can right-click it in his inventory and choose 'Add to Repertoire (<class name>)' like 'Add to Repertoire (Wizard)' and learn it with no skill check involved.  By default in D&D 3.5, a Wizard with 14+ INT and maxed Spellcraft - assumed by the vast majority of player character Wizards - can already take 10 and auto-succeed on this check (DC 15 + spell level) to learn spells of spell levels currently castable.  Learning a spell from a scroll this way consumes the scroll.  (The default time to learn a spell this way is 8 hours, but groups in which we played required much less time, perhaps learning the spell 'instantly' but only being able to prepare/cast it after resting.  Every D&D video game I played where casters learn spells this way either copied the spell instantly or with a brief real-time delay of 30 seconds or less.)

-I'd like to be able to learn spels from other spellbooks/grimoires a la Pillars of Eternity.  The Spellcraft skill already permits learning spells from borrowed spellbooks.

-I would very much like to be able to learn any learnable spell from scrolls and spellbooks, even if the spell learner can't yet cast spells of that spell level.  For example, a Wizard2 can't yet cast level 2 spells, but he could add invisibility, haste, and dimension door scrolls to his repertoire.

-Please make every spell scroll available to find in duplicate (any number of multiple copies) throughout the world!  I don't want to need to delay leveling just to ensure I have the right spell scrolls handy!

-Similar to Knights of the Chalice, when leveling a Wizard (or another scroll learner), highlight any spells he can learn that are in the party's inventory or at a party's base.  (Display a note on mouseover about where each such scroll is.)  If the party has seen a vendor (or a chest or other area/container) with a scroll of such a spell, also display a note of that on mouseover, including displaying which vendor/area/container in which locale.

My overall reasoning for these requests:  In core, Wizards are normally the only casters who can buy their 'class features' with money and can theoretically fail to learn their class features due to low INT/Spellcraft or being forced to roll.  (Taking 10 for this use of Spellcraft is normally considered rules as written since it's done out of combat and in a nonthreatening environment.)  I don't want to feel forced to wait to level just to ensure I have the'right' spells already known or learnable for these characters.

Thankee!
Last edited: February 12, 2019, Tuesday, 09:53 am by Endarire

malax

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1364 February 12, 2019, Tuesday, 07:20 pm

-I would very much like to be able to learn any learnable spell from scrolls and spellbooks, even if the spell learner can't yet cast spells of that spell level.  For example, a Wizard2 can't yet cast level 2 spells, but he could add invisibility, haste, and dimension door scrolls to his repertoire.

I m not convinced at all by this idea, i remember from D&D2 to know higher spell which will burn your brain if you try !!! If i was a programmer of the game, i couldn t understand what s the point of a written scroll in a grimory or not.. organisation ? Usually my spellcaster could also wear a backpack with all higher scrolls spell   

-Please make every spell scroll available to find in duplicate (any number of multiple copies) throughout the world!  I don't want to need to delay leveling just to ensure I have the right spell scrolls handy!

If you are travelling only for find a spell, i won t be surprised you ll probably make a lot of encounters then we can understand your level is increasing. This is why i ve stopped all RPG games recently cause it s uninteresting  to go on the main quest if your level is already too high gaining xp from secondary quest,
The answer depends from a lot of parameters but the next natural question is if the strenght of monsters and encounters is scaling with your average level party menbers.

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1368 February 14, 2019, Thursday, 02:47 am
I'd enjoy seeing a certain percentage of Wizard scrolls appear with a metamagic feats applied and/or be cast at a higher than minimum casting level, if only to make them tactically useful even if you already have learned the spell.

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1369 February 14, 2019, Thursday, 02:53 am
@rjshae: Agreed!

malax

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1377 February 14, 2019, Thursday, 07:00 pm
I'd enjoy seeing a certain percentage of Wizard scrolls appear with a metamagic feats applied and/or be cast at a higher than minimum casting level, if only to make them tactically useful even if you already have learned the spell.

Even if I like the contents of DD3.5 spells, i would prefer to see less level...
Why ??? Cause 9 levels represents a lot of spells, which means, these spells must be necessary different, to not be redundant and to avoid boring loot... Above all, if spells numbers are too many, the value of each spells wouldn t be important. Saint-Exupéry said: "In being different to me, you are not doing me harm, brother, but enriching me!

I can t blame DD3.5 but you can understand if you re adding metamagic,  a lot of spells could be overpowered while some other completely useless... In terms of mecanics i m for Metamagic system, but if it s implemented, i can only pray programmers will regroup spells with most similar faces.