Author Topic: Metamagic and Metapsionics

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1366 February 14, 2019, Thursday, 02:38 am
Greetings, all!

As a fan of casters and a general not-fan of metamagic's implementation since D&D 3.0, this is what I propose:

-Unlike RAW, a spell's slot level is equal to its spell level.  Always.  This solves confusion over the adding of 'free' metamagic to crafted items since most metamagics except Heighten Spell don't change the spell's level, merely its spell slot level.  Heighten Spell is instead effectively included automatically into each metamagicked spell.

-As per RAW, multiple metamagics can be applied to a casting of a spell.  Thus, a Quickened (+4 levels) Empowered (+2 levels) fireball requires a level 9 spell slot and is treated in all ways as a level 9 spell.

-Multiple metapsionic feats to the manifestation of a power or psi-like ability so long as the manifester has ample psionic focuses, power points, and manifester levels.  (This matters once psionic classes are introduced.)

-If we're rebalancing core metamagic feats (even counting metamagic feats from the SRD's divine feat section), I vote these costs for balance purposes.  This way, the less popular metamagic feats get a chance to be chosen and feel useful.  Empower (+2), Energy Substitution (+0, remove sonic damage), Extend (+1), Maximize (+3), Quicken (+4), Persistent (+4, touch spells are persistable), Reach (+0, the same as Energy Substitution), Repeat (+2), Sacred (+1 and usable on arcane and divine spells), Silent/Still (combined at +1 total like Extend), Subdual Substitution (+0), Widen/Enlarge (combined at +1 total, like Extend).  These numbers also assume metamagic cost reducers are rare or nonexistent.  (Metamagic rods, if limited to 1 per spell casting, are assumed available since they're core and RAW.)
Last edited: February 15, 2019, Friday, 05:02 am by Endarire

MadBeard

• Town Guard
  • Beach Crab
#1370 February 14, 2019, Thursday, 08:34 am
To me, metamagic feats in 3.0/3.5ed always felt little awkward with increasing spell slot requirement.
I think this system as it is, would be best to discard a create a new one. Maybe instead of increasing spell slots, just say that caster can use metamagic feat(s) number of times per day. Like 3/day or maybe INT_mod/day. You still must select particular metamagic feat at level up, but uses per day pool is for all metamagic feats. And spell level doesn't get increased as a result. This is just from top of my head. It's too early in the morning for me and I didn't drink coffee yet :)
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1371 February 14, 2019, Thursday, 10:04 am
To me, metamagic feats in 3.0/3.5ed always felt little awkward with increasing spell slot requirement.
I think this system as it is, would be best to discard a create a new one. Maybe instead of increasing spell slots, just say that caster can use metamagic feat(s) number of times per day. Like 3/day or maybe INT_mod/day. You still must select particular metamagic feat at level up, but uses per day pool is for all metamagic feats. And spell level doesn't get increased as a result. This is just from top of my head. It's too early in the morning for me and I didn't drink coffee yet :)

Or just implement the feats that take away the increased spell slot while simultaneously allow for a better spell slot progression system, unlike in NWN
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.