Author Topic: I'm playing Druid

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1378 February 15, 2019, Friday, 01:14 pm
What are you playing as your first class?
What would your party be like?

In this game we can create party members from scratch - more like Icewind Dale 1&2 or more like Pathfinder KM where you need to travel alone for a while before recruiting your own memmbers?

I kind of wish to create:
Druid - female battlecaster - human or elf
Paladin - human
Rogue - halfling
Cleric - human

I would like to create only four members, and not whole 6 at the campaign start, if possible.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1379 February 15, 2019, Friday, 02:02 pm
I would like to create only four members, and not whole 6 at the campaign start, if possible.

That's a detail we're still thinking about.
Creating all members before entering the world for the first time comes with some serious disadvantages regarding pacing and story telling.

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1380 February 15, 2019, Friday, 07:03 pm

Creating all members before entering the world for the first time comes with some serious disadvantages regarding pacing and story telling.

So it won't be like IWD1&2? Well, shame if not, you'll be more like Pathfinder, Pillars, Divinity OS2, instead of rare prize like IWD1&2, Divinity OS EE & Baldur's Gate 1&2, which has such feature.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1383 February 15, 2019, Friday, 09:45 pm

What about in-battle party switching if we have more than 5 npcs following us?
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1384 February 15, 2019, Friday, 11:49 pm
I too would like to play with a smaller group, preferably soloing (Dwarf Cleric) or duoing (Druid/Wizard) the game.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1385 February 16, 2019, Saturday, 12:38 am
So it won't be like IWD1&2? Well, shame if not, you'll be more like Pathfinder, Pillars, Divinity OS2, instead of rare prize like IWD1&2, Divinity OS EE & Baldur's Gate 1&2, which has such feature.

As I said, we're thinking about creating 3 characters immediately and then creating 3 more in the early beginning of the game. But that heavily depends on the introducing story part which isn't final yet.
I personally don't need to create all 6 characters at once, because it would need more than one hour before the game actually starts.

I think, the more relevant point is not when but if you can create all members (you can).

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1386 February 16, 2019, Saturday, 12:41 am
What about in-battle party switching if we have more than 5 npcs following us?

We don't have party switching, but the combat isn't limited in regard of player controlled characters. In worst cast, some followers only show up in combat but not in exploration mode.

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1387 February 16, 2019, Saturday, 02:14 am
The two extremes in cRPG companions seem to be either a fully developed character or a tabula rasa. Some day I'd like to see something in between: a character with specific restrictions for the sake of the story, but enough flexibility to tweak how we want to play her tactically. E.g. she's a rather clumsy elven druid with a badger companion, so her class, race, animal companion, and Wis(>14)/Dex(<9) are mostly locked down, but the rest can be fiddled with.

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1388 February 16, 2019, Saturday, 06:27 am
Perhaps Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition did party creation best by having a single character to create by default (and joinable NPCs later) but the option to make a party of 1-6 characters.  This way, those who want to make everyone initially can.

Wizardry 8 had a warning message after adding characters to the party saying that a party could have 1-6 player-made characters and a maximum of 2 NPCs.

I wrote more info on character creation and hireling recruitment.
Last edited: February 16, 2019, Saturday, 07:44 am by Endarire

malax

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1395 February 16, 2019, Saturday, 07:16 pm
Everybody can t get satisfaction so the wiser option is to disabled a start with 5 or 6 characters... Already 4 characters is huge in terms of personnalisation.

PrinceDusk

• Town Guard
  • Beach Crab
#1543 May 05, 2019, Sunday, 10:04 am
I agree with starting off by NOT making all of the group up front, for a few reasons:

1) You get a feel for creating characters but also get some time for the creation aspects to sink in (instead of it just 'running off of you' so to speak)

2) You get to get a feel of how the game handles, or to think about if you want another spell-caster or fighter

3) you don't have such a crowded display for the earliest bit, and newer players don't get overwhelmed in either creation or mechanics (The Fighter has *this*, the rogue does the sneaky which is *this*, Wizards do *this magic* Clerics are similar but is more like *this*.... so on), it's a bit more compact.
I have a small twitch channel [ twitch.tv/prince_dusk_  ], and I do plan on streaming this game when it comes out, come join me, now or then!

Also, maybe you can earn free money: https://coinbase.com/earn/xlm/invite/8gfxrtsb

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1561 May 12, 2019, Sunday, 08:37 am
One way to satisfy more people is to allow making a maximum 6 characters, but having an obvious warning like this:

WARNING, ESPECIALLY TO NEW PLAYERS:
It is recommended you have a maximum starting party of 2 or 3 player characters to make things less complicated for you.  At this time, you can still have a maximum of 6 player characters.

Soon after this initial character creation, you will be given other opportunities to expand your party roster with recruitable NPCs and custom-made player characters to a maximum of 6 characters.

Will you start the game with your current party?
[X] Not yet! (Default) [!] Definitely!

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Marsh Goblin
#1650 June 27, 2019, Thursday, 06:58 pm
I have such a tough time deciding this in CRPGs whether it's one where I make one character or the entire party.  I have restarted ToEE countless times to experiment with different classes and come up with my ideal party... Someday I really should stick to it and complete that game.    Definitely want a mage and a rogue but beyond that I don't know which kind of fighter or healer I want. 

I don't have really strong opinions about whether we create all 6 party members in the beginning or just a few and have others join early on in the game. It depends on how it fits the story they write. IIRC, it was still somewhat up in the as to whether Ceres would some recruitable companions.  If they do end up doing that it might be nice to have a few slots open in the beginning so you don't have to ditch a character you customized in the beginning. But I'm sure it will be fine either way. 

kanisatha

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1651 June 29, 2019, Saturday, 05:12 pm
I want a party of six, and I want them all to be official companions, so I hope this option will be present in the game. Also, please make it so that we meet all those companions pretty early in the game. I get very attached to my companions and do not like to have to swap them out. As such I end up never using any of the companions I meet later in the game even if they are the "best" companions in the game.