Author Topic: Exploring the World #2: Camp and Survival

The Old Farmer

• Marsh Goblin
#397 August 11, 2018, Saturday, 07:24 pm
So Hobgoblin in the case of camping/life on the road or wilderness will you be using survival checks to determine how effective your efforts are to make a safe camp area?  Will there be a type of check list ie. tent/lean to, sleeping blankets, fire, give a bonus or at least no negatives to overnight stays vs the environment but the more obvious you make your camp site the more likely you are to be ambushed with a random encounter in wilderness/enemy areas?

How much detail are you planning to have in this aspect of the game?

Andronius The Druid

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#398 August 12, 2018, Sunday, 06:41 am
Sleeping without proper clothing or missing equipment  (tent / sleeping bag / campfire) in the Northern areas of our world will definitely result in a bad cold or worse. Walking through the desert in full plate armor will increase the need for drinks dramatically.

In those regards, our world map survival part is in line with the great Realms of Arkania: Star Trail  aka DSA Sternenschweif.

Love to read this. And thinking about this topic I was checking today  Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Such a wonderful source of ideas and inspiration. It goes into many new spells and items and specifics for DMs, like down-time activities (which I love, like gambling, pit fighting, training, researching, resting, etc) and even stuff like "SLEEPING IN ARMOR" (Dungeon Master's Tools section). If, for instance, a character wants to sleep wearing his medium armor, he only regains 1/4 of his possible HD without reducing any exhaustion, AT ALL, which makes perfect sense to me. Besides, I don't want to see my stunning Elf-ranger beauty sleeping uncomfortably, all dressed up; I want her to take out her clothes so I can she rests well and comfy  (in my sleeping bag) 8)

In fact, while I do agree that the party should be able to try and set camp even without proper camping equipment and due preparation (contrary to PoE with its camping set mechanic), I do believe too that trying to sleep like that (wearing your armor, without due preparation, face-down in the dirt with little scorpions stinging your face and mosquitos or whatever eating you alive) should bring REALLY harsh penalties upon the party, not only "minor debuffs"; I'm speaking of no exhaustion reduction at all, not being to sleep at all or very poorly, not being able to cook anything because you didn't bring any firewood, increasing thirst and hunger and stress heavily, causing fights between party members because they're tired and moody and that's what actually happens while camping, getting ill, being unable to recover spell-slots or learn any new ones, risking to get bad colds and high fevers, and all sorts of sicknesses and filthiness and nastyness, up to the point of party members threatening to leave (e.g. -"I didn't sign up for this shit!" bubble speeches and everything LoL).

Indeed, poor camping prep can and should make for a VERY rough night, like @TheOldFarmer wisely said, and poor shelter sites should result in some sort of penalty, like @daveyd said. Otherwise, what's the point of implementing tents, sleeping bags, campfires, torches, weather system, warm clothes for wintery areas or... or anything else whatsoever for that matter?

Also: Stats+Race+Class+Feats+ETC; meaning, one thing is being able to get wonderful "power naps" face-down in the dirt while wearing your armor and night-bugs eat your face and crawl into your ears and armor (and you can't scratch because you're wearing plate gloves) IF you're a really seasoned, thick-skin badass Dwarf Warrior like our friend @StoneAgeArtisan here, or a wise Druid expert in wilderness survival  ;); but other very different is trying to rest in a desert, a snow mountain or a dungeon, without even a torch or sleeping bag, when you're a 99 year-old powerful but frail Wizard, or a pampered "Rock Star" Bard used to pay for comfy private rooms with pillows and fireplaces and whores to massage your neck in posh inns. Just saying, things like that matter.

2. Maybe we could have a "Camping Set" item, a typ of item, needed for camping. Without this, it could be still possible to camp, but with a much lower effectivity and with more dangers. There could be different quality of camping sets. Better ones giving more effectivity and safety. Maybe some can get mixed advantages and disadvantages. One could give more Safety, but less resting effectivity, another type of item contrary to this.

3. Each field on the world map could get  "Camping Effectivity" , "Camping Safety", "Camping Resourcefulnes" (how high is the chance to find rare herbs and such) values. This is mostly the same, but there are some very bad and some very good locations. When a player is going around the world, he is able to learn the world, to find out where are really good camping spots. Next time he is travelling in that area, he already knows, gets a plan, where its the best to make a camp. This give the player even more the good feeling, that he is immersed in this game world. Additionally good side effect is, that player will post about this kind of experience, knowledge, opinion in message boards. Discussing such themes make the community more active and valueable.

#3 would be a good feature. One thing I neglected to mention above in regards to camping in Expeditions: Viking, they have various campsites you discover scattered about the map, which each have quality ratings in regards to the amount of food, shelter, and security they provide.  A campsite with good shelter can give a temporary "well rested" stat bonus to party members (I don't think poor shelter sites result in a penalty but I could be wrong, as I tend to avoid those).   Low security campsites require additional members to be on guard duty or risk getting ambushed or robbed.  Low food obviously means you might not find as much through hunting / foraging so party members might get hunger penalties, unless you've stocked up on rations.

#2 could be a good money sink.  I gather that a lot of players hated the camping set mechanic in Pillars of Eternity, but I think that was mainly because you couldn't rest without one and you could only carry a few at a time... But as long as it's still possible to rest without one and you just miss out on safety or "well rested" bonuses then I think it would be received better.

So many cool ideas from everyone. I really dig that random "dream" buff thing @Omenaton proposed earlier for wizards, at least the principle, which goes together with that idea I posted much earlier about unique "camping skills", to call them somehow, or unique things to do while camping, and random "camping events/dialogues", and other stuff specifically tied to your class/race/condition/stats etc. Let us hope everything turns out Ok (all these ideas are so wonderful and everything but so freaking HARD to implement!)
Last edited: August 12, 2018, Sunday, 08:49 am by Andronius The Druid

StoneAgeArtisan

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#417 August 13, 2018, Monday, 05:02 pm
For sleeping in armor, I think we should stick to WoTC's 3.5 edition SRD rules:

"Sleeping  in Armor: A character who sleeps in medium or heavy armor is automatically fatigued the next day . He or she takes a
–2 penalty on Strength and Dexterity and can ’t charge or run. Sleeping in light armor does not cause fatigue."

www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#sleepinginArmor

:D