Author Topic: Player Dimension: Hero or Group?

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1660 July 15, 2019, Monday, 10:27 am
So, I wonder, is the game built for a Hero with Party or also a Solo Hero?
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1661 July 15, 2019, Monday, 01:56 pm

Generally, for a whole party but technically it should be possible to play with a single hero through the campaign (not sure about some puzzles though).

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1662 July 15, 2019, Monday, 02:47 pm

Generally, for a whole party but technically it should be possible to play with a single hero through the campaign (not sure about some puzzles though).

Thanks Goblin.
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1663 July 16, 2019, Tuesday, 04:21 am
Will there be a Leadership feat so your solo hero can attract a cohort, I wonder?

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#1664 July 16, 2019, Tuesday, 04:50 pm
As I understand it, the game is in the style of Icewind Dale or Wasteland 2 where you create a party from scratch and this is your "character". 

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#1677 July 23, 2019, Tuesday, 05:56 pm
As I understand it, the game is in the style of Icewind Dale or Wasteland 2 where you create a party from scratch and this is your "character".

You will be able to create the entire party of 6 from scratch, but they have also said the game will probably have some pre-generated companions that you can recruit à la Baldur's Gate.  It is also possible to replace characters you made with these companions if you want so the party could eventually become entirely new.  Of course, it's also possible to have a party with less than the maximum of 6.

What's not to clear to me yet is whether we'll be able to create new party members after the start of the game.  I think it should be an option but should cost a lot of gold, which increased by level.  So say that a party member dies and rather than resurrect them (which should also be very expensive) you head over to a guild and recruit a new mercenary that you get to make. 

Woozy-Wizard

• Marsh Goblin
#1679 July 24, 2019, Wednesday, 04:25 am
I think it should be an option but should cost a lot of gold, which increased by level.  So say that a party member dies and rather than resurrect them (which should also be very expensive) you head over to a guild and recruit a new mercenary that you get to make.

ToEE had a "guestbook" you could click on the front desk of the Welcome Wench Inn that allowed you to create new party members to add or replace dead characters.  In the late game I usually had some undead I managed to command with my evil cleric tagging along as my posse.  I really hope you can do this in RB.

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#1680 July 24, 2019, Wednesday, 09:02 pm
What I mean is I get we don't play a specific hero like the Watcher in Pillars of Eternity or the Baalspawn in BG or the Grey Warden in DA etc. with a personal story and a destiny. We are playing just a bunch of adventurers wandering here and there messing things up. Right?

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1686 July 25, 2019, Thursday, 04:51 pm
What I mean is I get we don't play a specific hero like the Watcher in Pillars of Eternity or the Baalspawn in BG or the Grey Warden in DA etc. with a personal story and a destiny. We are playing just a bunch of adventurers wandering here and there messing things up. Right?

It's something between. It's true, there is not the one hero, but that doesn't mean your characters don't have their story/background.

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#1704 July 30, 2019, Tuesday, 04:03 pm

It's something between. It's true, there is not the one hero, but that doesn't mean your characters don't have their story/background.

Nice to know! How does that background affect roleplaying and mechanics? Unique dialogue? Unique encounters? Unlocks unique stuff throughout the game? A personal goal/quest that gets fullfilled that opens up options or changes stuff world-wise? I'd appriciate if you could elaborate :)

Woozy-Wizard

• Marsh Goblin
#1705 July 30, 2019, Tuesday, 06:13 pm

Nice to know! How does that background affect roleplaying and mechanics? Unique dialogue? Unique encounters? Unlocks unique stuff throughout the game? A personal goal/quest that gets fullfilled that opens up options or changes stuff world-wise? I'd appriciate if you could elaborate :)

It might be more rewarding to discover those things without spoilers.
Last edited: July 30, 2019, Tuesday, 06:15 pm by Woozy-Wizard

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#1706 July 30, 2019, Tuesday, 06:53 pm

It might be more rewarding to discover those things without spoilers.

This is no spoiler. Knowing how a feature of the game works is basic information. I'm not asking for specific details, just how backgrounds work. For example in DOS2 we knew beforehand that backgrounds add tags to your character that unlock dialogue options. That's enough to know before starting the game.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1707 July 30, 2019, Tuesday, 11:28 pm
This is no spoiler. Knowing how a feature of the game works is basic information. I'm not asking for specific details, just how backgrounds work. For example in DOS2 we knew beforehand that backgrounds add tags to your character that unlock dialogue options. That's enough to know before starting the game.

Yes, along with faction standings and regional knowledge, the background/origin of a character may also add new dialogue options from time to time.

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#1708 July 31, 2019, Wednesday, 04:47 pm

Yes, along with faction standings and regional knowledge, the background/origin of a character may also add new dialogue options from time to time.

Nice! Thanks for the answer Hobgoblin! :)

Panpiper

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1760 August 25, 2019, Sunday, 01:29 pm
Personally, I greatly favor the lone adventurer way of playing, and tend to do so if at all possible even in most party based games. However there are two things that are necessary for that to work. For one, experience needs to be a pool that is divided among the party, such that if there is only one member of the party, the entire pool goes to that sole character. A solo character needs that rapid XP growth in order to succeed alone. The other thing that is necessary is a fair degree of flexibility in choice as to a characters abilities. A solo character needs to be able to cover several roles. A straight fighter will not cut it, nor will a straight mage or a straight cleric. A rogue 'might' do it, but only if all encounters can be solved with guile, highly unlikely in a game with roving monster encounters.

I therefor suspect that this game will be far less conducive to solo character play. We have pre-defined character classes and as far as I know, no means to multi-class. This is not a deal breaker for me, I have still backed the game (belatedly). It is however a failing in my opinion.

My hope is that the game will be sufficiently moddable for something to be created to at least create the semblance of multi-classing. This could be as simple as the addition of numerous other classes that simply merge the skill/abilities of whatever variety of multiclasses one might desire, and double the required XP for that class to level. Three class characters would require triple, etc.. They would get the best abilities of any of their classes at whatever level, but they would still only have a single HP 'die' per level, the biggest of any of their classes. And of course they would not gain double or triple the actions, just double or triple the choices as to what to do that round.

This would permit slow but steady solo play if a player chose. If for some reason this is seen as too imbalanced, increase the XP requirements to level even further. Done.