Author Topic: A few questions

Lord_Darkmoon

• Beach Crab
#65 December 21, 2017, Thursday, 11:10 am
First of all, the game looks really great: I can't wait to play it :)
I have a few questions and maybe you can answer them:

1. A feature I am missing in many games nowadays and which adds a lot to gameplay and immersion is the option to move objects around like in Ultima 7. This made the world feel alive and there could have been secret items hidden underneath objects. Will Realms Beyond offer this feature? Will we be able to move objects/items around in the world?

2. Will NPCs have schedules? Sleep at night, get up in the morning, sit down for breakfast, walk to their shop, work, go to a pub in the evening and go home to sleep?

3. The game will offer a world map on which we travel. Will this map be very detailed with animals roaming around? Birds flying by, clouds drifting by? Will be able to encounter NPCs like merchants or enemies on the overland map? And will we be able to discover secret areas during our travels?

Thanks very much!

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Ogre Zombie
#66 December 21, 2017, Thursday, 02:02 pm
wrote: Lord_Darkmoon
1. A feature I am missing in many games nowadays and which adds a lot to gameplay and immersion is the option to move objects around like in Ultima 7. This made the world feel alive and there could have been secret items hidden underneath objects. Will Realms Beyond offer this feature? Will we be able to move objects/items around in the world?
Generally, you can pick up and drop items as you know it from Ultima VII. But in contrast to Ultima, the items in RB always try to "snap" to pre-defined anchor points on objects such as bookshelves, tables, chairs,  etc.

This is necessary because we don't describe our world through physical methods as Skyrim or Witcher do.

Of course, we will use item picking/dropping/placement for puzzles such as putting ingredients into a bowl, returning an item to its original place, etc.

This screenshot illustrates the technique quite well:

2. Will NPCs have schedules? Sleep at night, get up in the morning, sit down for breakfast, walk to their shop, work, go to a pub in the evening and go home to sleep?
Yes, believable NPC behaviour including daily schedule is one of the most crucial elements if you want deliver a believable fantasy world. Every villager should have their home, a job, a family and favorite pub to hang out. And again, Ultima VI and VII are our paradigms regarding this aspect.

3. The game will offer a world map on which we travel. Will this map be very detailed with animals roaming around? Birds flying by, clouds drifting by? Will be able to encounter NPCs like merchants or enemies on the overland map? And will we be able to discover secret areas during our travels?
Visually, the world map will be a mixture between the first Ultimas until Ultima VI (where the worldmap disappeared) and Civilization games. You will see monster raid parties, merchants, special characters and other adventurer groups. And if you see allied or neutral troups engaging their enemies, you can decide to  join the battle.  Imagine a militia defending their village against a Goblin raid party, join the battle and your help will be rewarded as soon as you enter the town next time.
The player can always decide to enter the detailed level on each hexagon field on the worldmap, some are unique maps, some are pre-generated generic landscape map but with some unique locations inside (such as creeps, a travelling merchant, etc.)

This screenshot is taken out of the Pre-Alpha version, the graphics are more or less placeholders, but it illustrates the concept of the world map:

Last edited: December 21, 2017, Thursday, 02:56 pm by HobGoblin42

Lord_Darkmoon

• Beach Crab
#68 December 21, 2017, Thursday, 03:21 pm
Thanks for the answers. This sounds really great! I will definitely keep an eye on this game :)

The Old Farmer

• Marsh Goblin
#69 December 21, 2017, Thursday, 07:03 pm
Looks pretty good so far.  The DnD 3.5 rule set is by far my favorite and Temple of Elemental Evil is a game I just keep coming back to again and again.
If I am understanding you correctly your overland map will be like NWN2 Storm of Zeihr?  Where you can see potential random encounters on the world map and engage or run away as required.

Looking forward to following your creation process.

StoneAgeArtisan

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#301 July 03, 2018, Tuesday, 06:55 pm
...Temple of Elemental Evil is a game I just keep coming back to again and again.

Despite many negative reviews and complaints of bugginess at the time, I loved ToEE. The ingame help system was by far one of the best I've ever seen. I wanted it to be bigger like BG, and was quite sad when it was over. I have oftentimes wished Troika had stayed around and made sequels. But with Realms Beyond, hopefully us modders will be able to recreate more of those classic D&D modules. Several come to mind: The Keep on the Borderlands, Isle of Dread, Slave Pits of the Undercity, Against the Giants, and The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth all bring back fond memories for me.

Andronius The Druid

• Developer
  • Gelatinous Cube
#313 July 04, 2018, Wednesday, 01:11 am
Generally, you can pick up and drop items [...] the items in RB always try to "snap" to pre-defined anchor points on objects such as bookshelves, tables, chairs,  etc. Of course, we will use item picking/dropping/placement for puzzles such as putting ingredients into a bowl, returning an item to its original place, etc.
All the answers to these important questions make me so happy. "Putting ingredients into a bowl" sounds like Cooking and Alchemy systems to me! :D I also saw some campfires and cooking stations in other pics and previous vids (Outpost in Kvenland and Gnoll Camp). And a lot of fish begging to be caught in the Coastal Town in Cormac! Did I read correctly that we'll be able to cook/brew potions when Camping, and perhaps in towns too? Are we to expect Fishing, Cooking, Alchemy and Crafting systems in Realms Beyond?! PLEASE SAY YES!! :o

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Ogre Zombie
#316 July 04, 2018, Wednesday, 07:13 pm
Generally, you can pick up and drop items [...] the items in RB always try to "snap" to pre-defined anchor points on objects such as bookshelves, tables, chairs,  etc. Of course, we will use item picking/dropping/placement for puzzles such as putting ingredients into a bowl, returning an item to its original place, etc.
All the answers to these important questions make me so happy. "Putting ingredients into a bowl" sounds like Cooking and Alchemy systems to me! :D I also saw some campfires and cooking stations in other pics and previous vids (Outpost in Kvenland and Gnoll Camp). And a lot of fish begging to be caught in the Coastal Town in Cormac! Did I read correctly that we'll be able to cook/brew potions when Camping, and perhaps in towns too? Are we to expect Fishing, Cooking, Alchemy and Crafting systems in Realms Beyond?! PLEASE SAY YES!! :o

We'll have crafting for consumables (food, potions, healing items, arrows/bolts) but not for weapons/armors which require a skilled (NPC) blacksmith. But the player can collect parts and pay this blacksmith to craft a nice unique item/armor from it.

Hunting/fishing are just two of a few other activities that can be executed after setting up a encampment.

The Old Farmer

• Marsh Goblin
#319 July 05, 2018, Thursday, 05:39 am
 I have oftentimes wished Troika had stayed around and made sequels. But with Realms Beyond, hopefully us modders will be able to recreate more of those classic D&D modules. Several come to mind: The Keep on the Borderlands, Isle of Dread, Slave Pits of the Undercity, Against the Giants, and The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth all bring back fond memories for me.
[/quote]
I couldn't agree more there is just something about the 3.5e ruleset that is just great fun to play with.  I very much hope to see the 3.5e rules used to create a great game in Realms Beyond.  So far it looks great.   

Messier-31

• Marsh Goblin
#544 October 18, 2018, Thursday, 08:14 am
I know the reason for no Sorcerer class, but what about the Bard class?
It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Ogre Zombie
#552 October 19, 2018, Friday, 01:26 am
I know the reason for no Sorcerer class, but what about the Bard class?

Lack of time, we had to choose eight classes as first batch. It's  a lot work to fully implement a character class in the game.

Lurking Grue

• Beach Crab
#591 October 24, 2018, Wednesday, 01:27 pm

I bit late to the party, but all of the above features are also on my Most Wanted list for a CRPG (of features that are commonly missing now days, that is). If memory serves, it was already way back in Ultima V that NPCs had schedules and there was a meaningful day-night cycle. Also, you could pick most of the items up and drop them *and* they would persist. At least by Ultima VI it was so. Of course Ultima VII took that to another level for sure. It is the gold standard for many CRPG features, but *not* combat.  ;)

There's so much world interaction that can be done with fully interactive items, it makes the game much more interesting - much, much more than games with just hotspots for special items like levers and a designated desk that you can search (which more often than not, make puzzles redundant as you just press a button and highlight all hotspots).

About the world map travel and encounters on it. Please do NOT make the encounters too frequent. It becomes really tiresome if you need to fight a random encounter or wandering monster every 5 meters traveled. Playing Ultima V, I remember becoming quite frustrated with amount of wandering monsters on the world map. One or two fights every now and then is OK (more if the area is particularly dangerous), but when you're traveling on a road just trying to get from one town to the next, there shouldn't be bandits and bugbears behind every tree, IMHO.
It is pitch black, you're likely to be eaten by a grue.