Author Topic: Baldur's Gate 3

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1788 September 12, 2019, Thursday, 11:54 pm
Seriously, I'm shocked there has been no proper thread on this.
Excited? Disappointed?
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

Lucumo

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1794 September 13, 2019, Friday, 03:14 pm
Don't care. It's not the old Bioware team (or the old publishing company), so it's Baldur's Gate in name only. It's the same for all series where some other people work on it again after a long time has passed. Shenmue III would be another such, somewhat recent, example. I love the first two in the series but I couldn't care less about the third entry.

By the way: It's Baldur's Gate III :P

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1795 September 13, 2019, Friday, 03:26 pm
It's made by Larian, arguably even better than Bioware.

Lucumo

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1796 September 13, 2019, Friday, 05:12 pm
Larian and old Bioware are different developers. One should do titles in the Divinity series, the other one should have done a Baldur's Gate III.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1797 September 13, 2019, Friday, 05:16 pm
Larian and old Bioware are different developers. One should do titles in the Divinity series, the other one should have done a Baldur's Gate III.

The other one has been assimilated by EA.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1798 September 13, 2019, Friday, 11:08 pm
I have high hopes for BG III but it's still not clear if they go with turn-based or real-time with pause combat.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1799 September 14, 2019, Saturday, 09:26 am
I have high hopes for BG III but it's still not clear if they go with turn-based or real-time with pause combat.

Knowing them, it's going to be turn-based, I'm sure.

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1800 September 15, 2019, Sunday, 02:12 am
At this point I'd say I'm mostly indifferent.  I should  mention I am not a very big BG fan, in large part because I don't enjoy RTwP combat but also just didn't really find the story / characters particularly compelling.  In fact I've never even played BG2 all the way through; I did lose some save games from a hard drive failure years ago but the main reason I've never completed it is that I find the combat so tedious, with the frequent "trash mobs", not mention the frustration inherent in controlling a party in RTwP when fights become more challenging. 

I enjoyed the structure of BG1 more than the sequel... The exploration factor & semi- open world was interesting and seemed to be lost somewhat in what I've seen of BG2.  But really, the main thing that caused me to lose interest is the combat.

One might suppose that I'd be  more interested in BG3 if it were turn-based.  That might be the case, however, it depends of course on whether the TB combat is enjoyable, challenging, and the frequency of it. I don't really enjoy Larian's take on turn-based combat in D:OS. I actually grew bored relatively quickly with D:OS long drawn out TB battles that seemed a bit gimmicky with the emphasis on elemental goo spread all over the battlefield. After awhile, every battle felt the same and there were eventually too many of these mandatory battles relative to other gameplay like NPC interaction.  (It was also pretty easy even on the highest difficulty setting, at least when I last played it).  Also, I find Larian's silly over-the-top humor pretty off-putting.  I certainly don't mind some humor in games but prefer it is kept subtle w/o breaking the fourth wall, pop culture references, and things like that.  I don't really have any interest in multiplayer / co-op either and I feel like D:OS was designed with it in mind to the point where playing single-player  felt awkward...

I've yet to get DOS2; it's possible I'd enjoy it more but from what I've heard it sounds like it may have not changed enough for my tastes.

So yeah, I'm not really feeling any excitement but I understand why many fans of BG and Larian in particular.  If I hear overwhelmingly positive things about it maybe I'll check it out someday, but there's lots of other games that interest me more. I wish there were more official D&D CRPGs being made, but I'd rather have something new than just remakes or sequels of the older ones.
Last edited: September 15, 2019, Sunday, 02:14 am by daveyd

IgnatiusJ.Reilly

• Beach Crab
#1803 September 16, 2019, Monday, 01:14 pm
In the absence of turn-based environment, BG III will be rather dull, frankly. D&D 5E relies on various 'reactions' and other character abilities allowing die manipulation to be mechanically interesting in play,  5E's character building is rather simple when compared to 3rd edition D&D. And these aspects of D&D 5E will not function in a RTWP environment, it's an impossibility.

kanisatha

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1806 September 16, 2019, Monday, 04:30 pm
I am also indifferent and highly skeptical. Firstly, I'm not in the 'anything Larian makes is/will be awesome' camp because I can't stand the D:OS games.

Secondly, the game is sure to be TB, and that's a huge strike against it for me (though this can be mitigated by having combat itself be a lesser part of the game compared with the outside-of-combat real roleplaying parts of the game which are what I play cRPGs for in the first place).

And thirdly, more important even than the combat system, I fear the game will be first and foremost built for co-op/MP rather than SP, where all the design choices will have been made on the basis of what is best for MP over SP.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1808 September 17, 2019, Tuesday, 12:23 am
Secondly, the game is sure to be TB,..

Is that really sure?
Last edited: September 17, 2019, Tuesday, 03:05 pm by HobGoblin42

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1809 September 17, 2019, Tuesday, 08:44 am
Larian is hailed as the one who resurrected TB.

kanisatha

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1811 September 17, 2019, Tuesday, 08:55 pm
Secondly, the game is sure to be TB,..

Is that really sure?
No, not in the sense that Larian has said so. But given it is Larian, and given the expectation that because it is D&D it has to be TB (which I completely reject but whatever), I would put money on it being TB. What is certain per their own words is that the combat system has long ago been definitively decided, and they will not be changing it. Nor will they be providing multiple options for players to choose from.