SirPelinor

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#2445 July 27, 2020, Monday, 08:37 am
Do you have any progress information?

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#2446 August 01, 2020, Saturday, 05:21 pm
By whom? The devs haven't spoken sice beta release   :?

SirPelinor

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#2449 August 21, 2020, Friday, 10:21 am
Hello,

There are 3 D&D games coming out soon.
Solastat, BG3 and RB.

As you can see for the first 2. There is a lot of communication.
On RG, there is almost nothing.
We have already made a lot of comments on this subject. But nothing changes.

I don't understand why you are hiding.
Obviously, for a project to succeed, you have to communicate.

Could you put at least one monthly communication?
Thank you in advance for your consideration

Vision

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#2450 August 21, 2020, Friday, 05:46 pm
Hello,

Solastat, BG3 and RB.

I understand you are missing news but let s be honest, i would be incredibly disappointed if RB has something in common with BG3

Lucumo

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#2451 August 21, 2020, Friday, 11:33 pm
Hello,

Solastat, BG3 and RB.

Yep, it's pretty bad behavior with basically utter disregard for the supporters. I don't see how they can justify seeking support for future projects like this. And if you check, apart from Tharagavverug, none of the developers have even been active in 2020 on the forums. HobGoblin42 was here only on Monday, so didn't even bother to take five minutes to check any of the other days.

arhel

• Beach Crab
#2453 August 24, 2020, Monday, 04:38 pm
Beside the developement in much bigger studios, like Larian for Baldurs Gate 3, the project Realms Beyond is in my opinion for another group of gamers, some people with experience and patience over the years.

There were much good roleplaying games in "the good old days" (ultima, might & magic 6, wizardry 7, and so on), and a big studio like Larian now had started very small, I remember the trouble while developing Divinity 1 as an action like game for fans of diablo & co, with a very small amount of developement budget and creators.

With that in mind I am thankful for the long process it takes developing a good game with a small team. I think with start of the combat beta there will be much bug fixing a enough stress. And better to develope concentrated in the real world than searching for answers of fans without patience I guess.

Besides, I spent some money for a statue or monument as late backer, but who cares of time as roleplayer.  :D

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2454 August 27, 2020, Thursday, 01:37 am
While it is true there hasn't been much developer activity on these forums, to be fair there hasn't really been any activity here beyond occasional general requests for progress updates.  This will likely change once the game gets closer to a release date.

It's hard to share news on things that are a work in progress.  For example, they could do an update explaining how the stealth system is planned to work... And then, after a few months they'll have to an update explaining that half of what they told us about stealth has completely changed after testing out the original plan it just wasn't fun.. Personally I'd rather wait longer for the stealth update where they are pretty sure how stealth is going to work. 

Anyway, as a backer with access to the combat beta, I can assure you progress is being made.  Here's some very good news about the combat beta; today they tracked down and squashed a rather persistent and sneaky bug that was causing some beta testers to experience crashes.  Now the beta seems to be running very stable for everyone. 

Lucumo

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#2455 August 27, 2020, Thursday, 06:19 am
While it is true there hasn't been much developer activity on these forums, to be fair there hasn't really been any activity here beyond occasional general requests for progress updates.  This will likely change once the game gets closer to a release date.
Maybe because it's pointless for there to be activity on the forum if the developer doesn't care/answer? If you are going to ignore a fire, of course it's gonna go out.

Vision

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#2456 August 27, 2020, Thursday, 08:08 pm

It's hard to share news on things that are a work in progress.  For example, they could do an update explaining how the stealth system is planned to work... And then, after a few months they'll have to an update explaining that half of what they told us about stealth has completely changed after testing out the original plan it just wasn't fun.. Personally I'd rather wait longer for the stealth update where they are pretty sure how stealth is going to work. 

Anyway, as a backer with access to the combat beta, I can assure you progress is being made.  Here's some very good news about the combat beta; today they tracked down and squashed a rather persistent and sneaky bug that was causing some beta testers to experience crashes.  Now the beta seems to be running very stable for everyone.

Even things like that are true, some people doesn t imagine the amount of work to create a good and tought game... these fans are a millions far away to know how much a group of passionate devs invest in term of time, sacrifying one s family life for a job...

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2458 August 30, 2020, Sunday, 02:55 pm
Yeah, here's a post regarding release date that was posted by Hobgoblin on discord just the other day.

"We currently cannot say when game will be released because the project plan for the remaining tasks is not done yet.
As soon as we can tell more about the release dates, we'll announce that information immediately.
The game still needs content and features to qualify for the EA version."

I don't think the answer to this question is going to change, no matter how many times people ask it, they still don't know yet...

As for communication / general updates here's a recent post from Steam

"As soon as we have something relevant to announce, we'll do that - at this place and elsewhere.

But right now, there is not much to report. "

Unfortunately, they don't have the budget for a  dedicated community manager or PR person, so any update would have to be put together by either the programmer or lead writer. Personally I'd rather have them focus on completing the game than pretty words that promise us the world.   

There's streams of the combat beta to watch on youtube.  Also a recent livestream with Matt Barton.

I'm just not really sure what else they could show or say at this point without spoiling the plot. 

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#2459 September 01, 2020, Tuesday, 06:05 pm
Unfortunately peple have stopped streaming/uploading demo runs since the 1st week beta was released and this is sad 'cause I'd like to see it to the end.

As for not showing stuff becasue of spoilers, I don't believe this is an excuse. The game is supposed to have a huge variety of side-stuff so if they wanted to show something they could. Screenshots alone would be just fine but I guess this takes a huge amount of effort too (print screen -> paste). Yeah being sarcastic here 'cause I don't know why they don't do that.

Not being able to pay a community manager is understandable as it is that they want to focus on work not "meaningless" updates. Hopefully the game will generate enough hype in the niche crowd it is target to and we'll get to see sequels.

I'm buying day one even if my hype meter has fallen a lot since after the release of the beta (used to stare at screenshots and watching the KS video every other day; for real! :) ).

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2460 September 02, 2020, Wednesday, 04:42 pm
Unfortunately peple have stopped streaming/uploading demo runs since the 1st week beta was released and this is sad 'cause I'd like to see it to the end.

Well, that is something I can help with.  Unfortunately, I'm not experienced in making videos or streaming. I did successfully complete the beta before, but I botched the settings while I was streaming it on Twitch. However, I I think I have a handle on the basics of OBS now.   Lately I've been challenging myself by trying to solo the beta. But if I can't do that I'll just complete it in the next few days with a larger party.  And if I can make a video of the full demo I'll try to upload it to youtube & post a link here.

As for not showing stuff becasue of spoilers, I don't believe this is an excuse. The game is supposed to have a huge variety of side-stuff so if they wanted to show something they could. Screenshots alone would be just fine but I guess this takes a huge amount of effort too (print screen -> paste). Yeah being sarcastic here 'cause I don't know why they don't do that.

Fair enough, posting screenshots or gameplay video won't spoil anything as long as long as they don't display important dialogue or events.   I think the main reason they're hesitant to do that is that everything is still very much a work in progress.  Here's a direct quote from Hobgoblin (programmer) on Discord a few months ago:

"Gameplay is the core of any game and therefore the most challenging part to showcase. If you release unpolished material too early, your fanbase and others may become disappointed and possibly skip your game. Showing unfinished stuff is very risky to do because you could hurt your game commercially. That's why big AAA game studio almost never show actual gameplay scenes in unpolished state. There are definitely more risks than benefits demonstrating your game before it's actually polished and smooth.

Even if you write 'Beta/Alpha Gameplay, not final, still in work, bla bla', most gamers don't factor that into their decision. That's at least my experience from 25 years as professional game developer.  We released a gameplay video of the combat alpha quite early and some feedback was negative because the game wasn't polished nor complete. I am sure we lost at least some potential customer at that point."

Personally I think the beta demo looks great already. However, I am apparently easy to please when it comes to visuals.  I do recall back when the beta was first released someone on here posted a rather scathing criticism of it, calling the combat animations "an absolute joke" or something like that.  So I do understand Ceres' reluctance to release more screens while things are still not at final quality. As time passes and the game gets closer to release, I assume people's expectations will only rise. 

I gather that the majority of the art assets are "finished"; at least they already have lots of models for monsters, characters, NPCs, objects, and environments, some of which are used in the combat demo.  However,  there are still some visual issues such as clipping and the party movement outside of combat is still wonky. The UI probably isn't finalized yet. While they do have a lot of character portraits in the beta they have said more will be created and some of the portraits used in the beta need to be touched up to match the quality of the best ones.  They might still want to touch up lighting, shadows, and other visual effects.   

Anyway I'm on staycation this week so I'll see what I can do about producing a video the complete combat beta...
Last edited: September 02, 2020, Wednesday, 04:44 pm by daveyd

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#2461 September 02, 2020, Wednesday, 09:21 pm
@Daveyd  thanks in advance for any combat beta uploading :D

Braveheart

• Marsh Goblin
#2462 September 03, 2020, Thursday, 03:41 pm
At least give us a short version tutorial of the content creator tool that is suppose to be in our hands when the game comes out. There is nothing to spoil about the main story line when you show how the campaign editor works. People keep saying it's a small studio therefore they can't give us regular updates is false logic, there has been games with  much smaller staffing with tons of  updates almost every month or so.

But this game gives us updates every 6 months to a year and when we do see an update it's mostly a re-hash of old stuff we've seen before. It's all about keeping your fans engaged more then anything, last time i posted in here i think was early this year since i got a little hyped they were going to show another combat preview. But again, ever since then they went of the map.

The things that I like to see is concept arts of different monsters or more dungeon settings without revealing their location in the world. Or, customization of characters and monsters in the campaign editor etc...

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2463 September 03, 2020, Thursday, 04:29 pm
@Daveyd  thanks in advance for any combat beta uploading :D

Alright I managed to complete the beta solo with a barbarian this morning.   I think they nerfed enemies in a recent update as I recall getting killed by a giant toad in the swamp with 40 something HP (this time they only had around 15).

Anyway here's the video (HD available).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTyPscf-Yo

There's still an issue with the 2nd to the last fight, where it's difficult to move near & target the orc archer. 
Last edited: September 03, 2020, Thursday, 09:29 pm by daveyd