Author Topic: let's discuss about the classes

Vision

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1466 March 18, 2019, Monday, 07:22 pm
Even if the game and his developpement looks in good hands, i don t see prestige-class as mandatory, and from what i know about difficulty of bringing a wealth to a virtual content, I consider prestige-class in my mind as secondary goal, something which can be manage after the release.

I m also excited by the prestige-class but i prefer to see main different classes well implemented with strategic and limited in game decision depending on your party..

Did i tell you 6 characters personalities in a party make me feel sad when i know there are 8 or 9 main classes ?

which features won t be cover by a party containing so many characters ? I wanna make a choice when i create my party, i want to know which class i have to put aside and  which class is missing me..
Last edited: March 18, 2019, Monday, 08:31 pm by malax

Scott Shieldman

• Town Guard
  • Beach Crab
#1571 May 14, 2019, Tuesday, 10:26 pm
According to the concept arts, some are dual wielding, It's confirmed or just to serve the illustration?

Of course, the Barbarian class will have Dual Wielding (as well as the Rogue).

It's taken me forever to get back to this, so it may be answered elsewhere. Would the fighter also have Dual Wielding? In this rules system, with all the accompanying feats, Dual Wielding is a great bit of fun.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1624 June 06, 2019, Thursday, 11:52 am
According to the concept arts, some are dual wielding, It's confirmed or just to serve the illustration?

Of course, the Barbarian class will have Dual Wielding (as well as the Rogue).

It's taken me forever to get back to this, so it may be answered elsewhere. Would the fighter also have Dual Wielding? In this rules system, with all the accompanying feats, Dual Wielding is a great bit of fun.

Fighters will have Dual Wielding aka Two-Weapon Fighting as well, since it's part of their bonus feats (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Fighter_Bonus_Feats).
But in general, Two-Weapon Fighting isn't really efficient in 3.5e and requires some tough prerequisites if you want to max it.
Last edited: June 06, 2019, Thursday, 11:54 am by HobGoblin42

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1829 September 24, 2019, Tuesday, 02:04 am
I usually don't include a Bard because I need a party slot for a Rogue to handle locks and traps. Is there any chance the Skill Knowledge feat will be included so that I can make a human Bard with lock/trap class skills?

MadBeard

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1910 October 24, 2019, Thursday, 02:03 pm
I usually don't include a Bard because I need a party slot for a Rogue to handle locks and traps. Is there any chance the Skill Knowledge feat will be included so that I can make a human Bard with lock/trap class skills?

It's not a problem that Disable Device and Open Locks aren't on a Bard class skill list. Problem is that only Rogue class has Trapfinding ability, so Skill Knowledge feat (I presume you think Skill Focus feat, because there is no Skill Knowledge feat iirc) won't help you with that. Of course, that's true if rules are faithfully transferred to video game.

Trapfinding

Rogues (and only rogues) can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20.
Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
Rogues (and only rogues) can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
A rogue who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with her party) without disarming it.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#1917 October 26, 2019, Saturday, 03:13 am

It's not a problem that Disable Device and Open Locks aren't on a Bard class skill list. Problem is that only Rogue class has Trapfinding ability, so Skill Knowledge feat (I presume you think Skill Focus feat, because there is no Skill Knowledge feat iirc) won't help you with that. Of course, that's true if rules are faithfully transferred to video game.

Trapfinding

Rogues (and only rogues) can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20.
Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
Rogues (and only rogues) can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
A rogue who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with her party) without disarming it.

I would hope that they'll make traps with very high DC very rare in the game (or perhaps only in a thieve's guild quest).  If not, it'd basically force everyone to take a thief in their party... Alternatively I suppose they could have the option of a temporary thief companion when necessary (as they have previously mentioned that an NPC might temporarily join your party for a quest). 

As a side note, according to the latest communication on the subject of classes I've read from Ceres, it seems that Bard class probably won't be in the game (only the 8 classes listed on the Kickstarter page are a sure thing)...  Perhaps bard will be added in a DLC / expansion down the road (if not implemented unofficially by modders). 

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1970 November 13, 2019, Wednesday, 08:38 am
Hey, back again....

I understand bards are not popular among fandom, but I don't think it's game based on d&d rules without bards... I do not think of that when it comes to monks, even IWD2 has bards...

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1971 November 13, 2019, Wednesday, 09:55 am
Hey, back again....

I understand bards are not popular among fandom, but I don't think it's game based on d&d rules without bards... I do not think of that when it comes to monks, even IWD2 has bards...

bards are quite popular?
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1972 November 13, 2019, Wednesday, 11:03 am
Hey, back again....

bards are quite popular?

not the impression I got.

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#1973 November 13, 2019, Wednesday, 07:55 pm
Bard is not my favorite class but I'd definitely be happy if Ceres could add it in an expansion, DLC, or patch at some point. They make great arcane archers in 3.5e and of course more options are always good for experimenting with different parties. 

Anyway I'm sure someone will attempt to implement more classes in mods.... Should be easy enough to implement a bard class since most (if not all?) of their spells are used by other spellcasting classes that will be in the game.  So it's just a matter of creating the perform skill & bardsong / inspirations.   The only thing that would probably take a lot of work would be to create custom bard animations (e.g., playing an instrument), clothing, and accessories. 
Last edited: November 13, 2019, Wednesday, 07:58 pm by daveyd

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1976 November 14, 2019, Thursday, 02:42 am
Having a module that is written with a bard in mind would probably make the class more interesting. If I had a bardic companion, I'd rather they be human or half-elf with a swashbuckling build; maybe a robin hood bandit bard, for example. I'm tired of RPGs that use the gimmicky gnome or halfling bard. In HotU, Sharwyn was preferable to Deekin.
Last edited: November 14, 2019, Thursday, 02:44 am by rjshae

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#1988 November 18, 2019, Monday, 06:51 pm
Having a module that is written with a bard in mind would probably make the class more interesting. If I had a bardic companion, I'd rather they be human or half-elf with a swashbuckling build; maybe a robin hood bandit bard, for example. I'm tired of RPGs that use the gimmicky gnome or halfling bard. In HotU, Sharwyn was preferable to Deekin.

Yeah I'd also like to see more bards who are con artists or spies. Lots of different directions they could go in beyond comic relief character.  Not sure if I'm the person best suited to implement the bard class mechanics, but assuming some more experienced modder takes that project on, perhaps I'll create an adventure designed for bard characters. 

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#2000 November 27, 2019, Wednesday, 03:09 pm

Yeah I'd also like to see more bards who are con artists or spies. Lots of different directions they could go in beyond comic relief character.  Not sure if I'm the person best suited to implement the bard class mechanics, but assuming some more experienced modder takes that project on, perhaps I'll create an adventure designed for bard characters.

I'm personally fan of Elven battlecaster buffer bard. Just to give you an idea.

Speculator

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#2011 December 02, 2019, Monday, 10:23 pm
I'd also like to know how animal companions are going to be handled in this game. The 3.5 I played , druids had magical companions and rangers had actual animal companions but two levels down. But I remember in icewind Dale only the totemic druid had a magical companion for a few rounds or so , once a day and the poor ranger -nothing.  I'd really like a ranger in my party but with an animal companion to support my two tanks (barbarian and paladin). If not I might as well just get a fighter and give him a bow. Behind them my cleric and behind her my wizard and rogue at the back.
Last edited: December 02, 2019, Monday, 10:31 pm by Speculator

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2012 December 02, 2019, Monday, 11:49 pm
I'd also like to know how animal companions are going to be handled in this game. The 3.5 I played , druids had magical companions and rangers had actual animal companions but two levels down. But I remember in icewind Dale only the totemic druid had a magical companion for a few rounds or so , once a day and the poor ranger -nothing.  I'd really like a ranger in my party but with an animal companion to support my two tanks (barbarian and paladin). If not I might as well just get a fighter and give him a bow. Behind them my cleric and behind her my wizard and rogue at the back.

As far as I can tell from the SRD, the only difference in 3.5e between animal companions for druid and ranger is supposed to be how the companion's level is determined.  "This ability functions like the druid ability of the same name, except that the ranger’s effective druid level is one-half his ranger level. A ranger may select from the alternative lists of animal companions just as a druid can, though again his effective druid level is half his ranger level. Like a druid, a ranger cannot select an alternative animal if the choice would reduce his effective druid level below 1st. "         

There's also an "alternative" list of animal companions on the SRD that are larger / more powerful than the standard ones but have a level adjustment so they aren't quite as high a level as companions that are badgers, hawks, wolves etc.    Of course we don't know yet what animal companions will make it into the game and I'd be rather surprised if all of the creatures listed in the SRD were available.