Author Topic: re: world domination

S-man

• Marsh Goblin
#2031 December 12, 2019, Thursday, 11:21 pm
Can we take over the world by slowly absorbing villages than cities, nations and end up ruling it all?

Braveheart

• Marsh Goblin
#2032 December 13, 2019, Friday, 02:52 pm
no

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2035 December 16, 2019, Monday, 02:53 am
Can we take over the world by slowly absorbing villages than cities, nations and end up ruling it all?

Well it's not really a strategy game.  They mentioned the possibility of being able to buy a house to keep your extra gear and rest safely but IIRC it won't really be a stronghold such as those that RPGs like Pillars of Eternity, NWN2, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker have. 

While we still don't know many details of the plot, the basic premise seems to be that your characters are adventurers who don't necessarily stay in the same place for long. They will  complete quests for better gear and perhaps some glory and fame but I don't think a six person party of level 15 could take over the world.  After all the kings and queens will still have far more money and an army that your 6 adventurers + 1 temporary companion couldn't possibly hope to defeat all by themselves. 

Also, the initial game will take place only in a portion of the world of Argea, though future expansions may unlock new continents. 

Tharagavverug

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#2036 December 16, 2019, Monday, 03:31 pm
Realms Beyond is a role playing game where the player assumes the role of an adventurer party with 1 to 6 members. It is not an empire management strategy game.

The gameplay will focus on questing and dungeoneering. If there will be any castle management at all it will be on the level of Baldur's Gate II's player keeps, and nothing beyond that.
Then Leothric said: "What is Tharagavverug's food?"

And the magician of Allathurion said: "His food is men."

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#2045 December 17, 2019, Tuesday, 03:12 am

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the ooze player race expansion.

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2052 December 19, 2019, Thursday, 12:31 am

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the ooze player race expansion.

When that comes out I hope there will be a gelatinous cube we can romance. 

nichttuntun

• Marsh Goblin
#2105 January 24, 2020, Friday, 10:58 am
no

fortunately no :)

That´s great, I am not fond at all with playing the over-lord mega-ruler of them all. Too much power or things to manage and control in a game kills all the fun. That´s the reason Lord Of The Rings, The Name of The Wind, The Neverending Story are interesting books. The protagonists simply aren´t too powerful. I think such mechanisms are very well translatable into games and can easily enhance gaming experience.

The worst case scenario in every game for me is to be generic .... the "allmighty chosen one"- main character and story is the most generic and most boring/ uninteresting of them all. 

Johnathanid

• Beach Crab
#2211 March 07, 2020, Saturday, 04:27 pm
I agree. There's a point after which it feels like a chore to control everything.