Author Topic: Coinage and Wealth

IgnatiusJ.Reilly

• Beach Crab
#82 December 23, 2017, Saturday, 06:53 am

Cool, different types of coinage. One would think there were only gold pieces in D&D if one browsed most D&D Crpgs. Sadly, this feature is much hated by those with poor skills in arithmetic. Oh, yes, sound is rarely noticed unless it's bad, at least by most folks. 

Last edited: December 26, 2017, Tuesday, 06:47 pm by HobGoblin42

Dragon

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#83 December 23, 2017, Saturday, 08:42 am
Gold-only coinage never made sense to me. No culture in the history of the world ever relied on a single coinage because numbers are getting too large an cumbersome very quickly. You simply lose all sight of the value when you have something like 289432 gold coins.

AbounI

• Marsh Goblin
#84 December 23, 2017, Saturday, 12:40 pm
It can also have another purpose : money has weight. In this case who could wear 145876 Gold Coins without being overloaded? It will force player to use the convert system, but still, convertion shouldn't be automatic. That's where a complex economy system is welcome : finding bankers or traders who could make it
It's these kind of small details that makes huge differences, no?

Dorateen

• Beach Crab
#85 December 23, 2017, Saturday, 04:24 pm
One would think there were only gold pieces in D&D if one browsed most D&D Crpgs.

The SSI Gold Box games had different coin denominations, including platinum pieces, gold pieces, silver pieces. Realms Beyond is going back to the roots of classic AD&D computer role-playing games.

Dragon

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#87 December 23, 2017, Saturday, 07:35 pm
I think the biggest issue surrounding money in RPGs that it plays virtually no role in most games. What good is money when there is never an incentive to spend it? I can't even remember the last time I played an RPG where I actually felt compelled to purchase anything. All I did, was collect coinage for no purpose.

This means we will have to come up with some clever design ideas to give money actual worth in the game, so it doesn't turn into the same artificial asset it is in virtually every other game.
Last edited: December 23, 2017, Saturday, 08:14 pm by Dragon

Dorateen

• Beach Crab
#88 December 23, 2017, Saturday, 08:51 pm
Training Halls, and make characters required to pay for training to level up.

Dragon

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#89 December 23, 2017, Saturday, 09:29 pm
But for what purpose? I've never trained in any game in my life. Wouldn't you rather play the game and achieve the same thing? After all, that's what you paid for when you bought the game—to play it—not buy your way to the end of it. The adventure/journey IS the experience. Purchasing level-ups or other accelerators completely defeat the purpose of playing the game in the first place, in my opinion.

I'm thinking about creating certain elements in the game that will force you to spend money. Be it for bribes, to support a faction and pay your dues, to obtain materials that are really super-rare and cannot be obtained otherwise. We haven't quite decided yet how we'll go about this in Realms Beyond, but we all feel that we need to change the role that money is playing in these kinds of games. We need to remove its superficiality.

Dorateen

• Beach Crab
#90 December 23, 2017, Saturday, 09:42 pm
But for what purpose? I've never trained in any game in my life. Wouldn't you rather play the game and achieve the same thing? After all, that's what you paid for when you bought the game—to play it—not buy your way to the end of it. The adventure/journey IS the experience. Purchasing level-ups or other accelerators completely defeat the purpose of playing the game in the first place, in my opinion.

I was talking about training costing characters money in game. Like Pool of Radiance, for one example. It was in response to the post above about providing an incentive to spend money.

Dragon

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#91 December 23, 2017, Saturday, 10:20 pm
I understand completely, and that's what I was referring to. In most games, however, training does not do anything that you could not achieve on your own over time, that's what I was trying to say. It's simply providing a shortcut to advancing a skill, typically, without adding any unique characteristics. So you can just as well skip training and simply play until you reach the same point.

For training to be worthwhile doing—and worth spending money on—it will have to add something unique that you can't get otherwise. That way you give the player an incentive to spend coinage on it.

AbounI

• Marsh Goblin
#94 December 23, 2017, Saturday, 11:46 pm
Why not implement a daily hiring cost for the companions joining the party? The more they are experienced, to higher it will cost you. As i's done in Battle Brother.s Easy to implement I guess?
By hiring companions, I don't mean the party members (up to 4 characters as it was intended in CC), but the extra companions that could occasionnaly join the party for a time
Want the player to loose money? Remember Legend of Faerghail, when the player could open a bank account to deposit some coins. These banks being sometimes robbed, player could loose money. Something risky, but it allowed to lighten the party purses. Futher than that, it could be the beginning of a quest (a network of thieves acting for a rival faction?)...
Last edited: December 23, 2017, Saturday, 11:49 pm by AbounI

Dragon

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#96 December 24, 2017, Sunday, 03:49 am
I like the way you think.  ;)

Xerxes

• Beach Crab
#101 December 24, 2017, Sunday, 03:48 pm
I like the way you think.  ;)

Some people have noticed that your private site is set to Guido Henkel's blog, and that you live in the same place as him. So.... anything to say?  :P

JarlFrank

• Global Moderator
  • Marsh Goblin
#102 December 24, 2017, Sunday, 03:53 pm
I do have a couple of ideas for moneysinks when we reach the stage where we have to think about those things.

Giving the player things to invest his hard-earned cash into is always welcome (remember buying a boat in Daggerfall?), and getting money shouldn't be too easy either.

I recently replayed Morrowind and ended up with more than a million gold pieces thanks to selling looted equipment to pawn shops. In many RPGs, traders are just too willing to buy second hand equipment for rather high prices, while realistically a blacksmith who produces his own weapons and armor would never pay you for a second hand sword because reselling products others made isn't his job.

If you just make selling generic looted items less profitable, that would already be a major step towards preventing players with more money than they can ever use.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Gelatinous Cube
#103 December 24, 2017, Sunday, 04:49 pm
This material is published under the OGL
Coins
The most common coin is the gold piece (gp). A gold piece is worth 10 silver pieces. Each silver piece is worth 10 copper pieces (cp). In addition to copper, silver, and gold coins, there are also platinum pieces (pp), which are each worth 10 gp.

The standard coin weighs about a third of an ounce (fifty to the pound).
CoinShortWeightCommon names
Platinumpp11010010000.02 lb.
Goldgp1/101101000.02 lb.
Silversp1/1001/101100.02 lb.
Coppercp1/10001/1001/1010.02 lb.

Source: D&D Wiki - Wealth and Money

Last edited: December 26, 2017, Tuesday, 06:46 pm by HobGoblin42

AbounI

• Marsh Goblin
#105 December 24, 2017, Sunday, 04:57 pm
Glad to see coins will have some weight and have a role to play in the encumbrance management