Author Topic: Coinage and Wealth

IgnatiusJ.Reilly

• Beach Crab
#107 December 24, 2017, Sunday, 11:44 pm
Yes, in general pnp, game masters tend to solve the 'tons of worthless gold' problem by just giving less monetary treasure. This can deferentially affect some classes more than others however. Money sinks should accomplish something interesting though. They need not increase PC power necessarily, maybe influence in a region? Well, I suppose influence is power, just a more subtle type of power. I wonder whether we're discussing a 'low magic' or 'high magic' world here.

Dragon

• Marsh Goblin
#110 December 25, 2017, Monday, 01:17 am
Exactly. I was thinking of adding situations like guilds but instead of having a one-time payment to join them, you will have to pay monthly dues. among many other ideas that will keep money flowing and give it some actual value and necessity.

JarlFrank

• Marsh Goblin
#111 December 25, 2017, Monday, 10:34 pm
Since travel is also an important element of our game, we can make efficient travelling costly:

You have to buy horses if you don't wanna go everywhere on foot, these horses need to be fed which isn't cheap either, you can buy wagons to store more equipment and supplies, and so on.

And when it comes to supplies, one of the games that is a source of inspiration for us, the Realms of Arkania trilogy, made the player invest money into blankets, sleeping bags and other things that come in useful when camping. We could add some items that increase the positive effects of resting.

There are many things a typical adventurer party would spend money on that aren't directly related to combat or magic.

ssd21345

• Beach Crab
#118 December 28, 2017, Thursday, 11:43 am
I wonder if it went hardcore like horse itself needs supply too, makes it similar to the rocket that quite a lot fraction of inv space went to supply while not much went to the things you actually want to carry with the horse when traveling on the desert/ other barren or hostile biomes. However, non-barren biomes such as grassland the impact is minimal as you have water and grass all around.  Even though, the supply requirement should be disabled at these biomes as it will be an annoying feature even they are easy to deal with each time.
Last edited: December 28, 2017, Thursday, 11:56 am by ssd21345
Basically, I frequent Indiedb and Discord.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Ogre Zombie
#131 December 30, 2017, Saturday, 02:26 am
I wonder if it went hardcore like horse itself needs supply too, makes it similar to the rocket that quite a lot fraction of inv space went to supply while not much went to the things you actually want to carry with the horse when traveling on the desert/ other barren or hostile biomes. However, non-barren biomes such as grassland the impact is minimal as you have water and grass all around.  Even though, the supply requirement should be disabled at these biomes as it will be an annoying feature even they are easy to deal with each time.

I think, simulating pasture management for horses would be definitely over the top. Furthermore, regarding mounts and vehicles, we generally favor comfortable mechanisms over realistic simulations. You won't lose your horses or cart when leaving a dungeon at a different exit and your ship will not sink when your party debarked to explore an unknown island.

AbounI

• Marsh Goblin
#135 December 30, 2017, Saturday, 12:22 pm
If horses have to be fed, for long distance travel, will there will be "endurance" management so that they will have to rest to. If yes, why not try to implement some caravanserai where the party could switch their mounts for some fresh ones (at some price of course).
Will there also be a "forced march" system to travel faster which will have a counter part : a more tiring day (with some consequences) plus a less awareness party when it comes to detect hidden things events while on roads ?

daveyd

• Marsh Goblin
#252 May 09, 2018, Wednesday, 05:55 pm
Another potential use for money I'd like to see: Make bribery a viable option when appropriate.  Not only for information gathering from NPCs for quests but perhaps even to avoid certain combat encounters.  Suppose you encounter a dragon when your party cannot possibly hope to slay him.  Offer him a bunch of coins to let your party keep breathing. 

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Ogre Zombie
#253 May 10, 2018, Thursday, 07:50 pm
Another potential use for money I'd like to see: Make bribery a viable option when appropriate.  Not only for information gathering from NPCs for quests but perhaps even to avoid certain combat encounters.  Suppose you encounter a dragon when your party cannot possibly hope to slay him.  Offer him a bunch of coins to let your party keep breathing.

That's definitely a believable money-sink that gives the player an additional choice, especially for unwanted world map encounters.
Bribing guards after being caught stealing is another good opportunity.

Mtl.Inq

• Marsh Goblin
#268 June 20, 2018, Wednesday, 08:47 am
how about promissory note and draft ?

some are only exchangeable between same/friendly faction(s) to handle big sum or special treat, and the others are for more common (registered under authority of kingdom) but handle relatively small sum or items which is to be used widely in banks or local merchants/wholesalers/traders.

it could be used for quest related things cuz it can have high risk like certain period of expiration or who gave a credit for the paper, making debt (of money or item) when things went wrong and so on.
and making a deed itself affects the relation between party and the opponent.
either of passive opportunity or player's spontaneous choice, would be driving force for each other.

basically, it is the best way to have quite sum of money without concerning weight of coins but for wondering adventurers, keeping such deed on hand is too risky.
so it encourages the party to make friend with trustworthy person, independent institution or backup of highest authority for safe keeping. (same condition goes to precious items.)
Last edited: June 20, 2018, Wednesday, 09:04 am by Mtl.Inq

StoneAgeArtisan

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#300 July 03, 2018, Tuesday, 06:41 pm
I can think of a few things to spend coinage on:

1) Arrows, bolts/quarrels, and sling stones. I probbaly went through several thousand of these playing Baldur's Gate, since every party member had a missile weapon.

2) Repair costs for armor and weapons.

3) Rations for your party members. In my old AD&D group every DM required it. We didn't roleplay eating lol, the DM just deducted it based on days traveled.

4) Nightly stays at an Inn for better quality/safer rest.

5) Resurrection of a dead character.

6) Better armor and weapons (not necessarily magic)

7) Horses, wagons, pack animals, etc.

These are just a few ideas of ways to nickle and dime the player. I may have repeated what others have already said, so I apologize.

Andronius The Druid

• Developer
  • Gelatinous Cube
#317 July 04, 2018, Wednesday, 09:10 pm
I can think of a few things to spend coinage on:
[...]
3) Rations for your party members. In my old AD&D group every DM required it. We didn't roleplay eating lol, the DM just deducted it based on days traveled.
[...]
7) Horses, wagons, pack animals, etc.
Don't forget Animal Companions (for Ranger/Druid classes) also consume Rations, just as any other party member they must be fed too.

Oh, and what about Mini-Games! :o Don't know if it was already suggested (apologies in advance), but wouldn't be awesome to be able to Bet and Gamble, play Cards, Dice, Darts, Axe Throwing, Arm Wrestling, Rat Races, or participate in Drinking Endurance Contests, the local Archery competition, and of course fight in some taverns' Fight Clubs! (no weapons/gear allowed) for earning (probably mostly loosing) money?

Besides the Temples charging for healing/resurrecting, if we're speaking believable money-sinks there's always ❤♡the Lovely Brothel♡❤ :D HAHA! I can recall a couple quite a few games (Dragon Age, Fable, Pillars of Eternity, Darkest Dungeon, Dark Quest 2, The Witcher 3, Assasins Creed, Final Fantasy... not to speak of AD&D and older CRPGs) that would let you spend the night entertained in such pleasures, after which you would randomly get (A) Rest+Buff (B) get an STD (C) get robbed! (suddenly you realize some coin is missing, together with a ring, amulet or something from your inventory!)

That's definitely a believable money-sink that gives the player an additional choice.
Yep, I'm saying it: I suggest there should be brothels in towns, and whores and pimps on some streets like in D&D Good Ol' Days, so adventurers can go and have their fun (I don't mean to show explicit sex or anything, but the mechanic, u know what I mean! who could ever forget The Pearlhttps://youtu.be/0kgQQC2jIsc?t=3m19s From the writing and development point of view it was well designed, funny, entertaining, and just tastefully done).   

On the bright side heroes can rest, spend coin, buy drinks (and whatever else folks trade there), spend the night, learn what's the word out there, perhaps gather info and find secrets, while getting a super boost to morale, sanity or other passive stats; on the risky side they could get a disease, get robbed or worse: fall in love ;) Besides giving the heroes something else to do, imagine the possibilities! Just while writing this post I could think of at least a dozen side-quests, NPCs and dialogues involving Espionage, Political Corruption, Conspiracies, Smuggling, Black Markets, Assassins' Guilds and, perhaps, Love Interests.

After all, "In the very first edition of AD&D, Gary Gygax and company knew full well that any halfway decent fantasy world would be full of whores [...] So Gygax made the above, totally batshit-insane and absolutely true Random Harlot Table, so that Dungeon Masters could know what kind of whore their adventurers had encountered" [full article here: https://www.therobotsvoice.com/2008/06/the_12_harlots_of_the_dungeons_dragons_random_harl.php ]. And while this awesome Harlot Table was most sadly removed later, in 3.5e we still had the lovely Harlot Class to remember (main skill, "Art of Seduction", sic.)...

Just adding my two cents copper :cp: :cp:
Last edited: July 06, 2018, Friday, 11:35 pm by Andronius The Druid

SoggyOatsTavernKeeper

• Beach Crab
#767 November 11, 2018, Sunday, 02:00 am
Electrum doesn't get any love, was so hoping to finally use that currency.
Greetin's, I'm Milo Oatbringer and I'll be checking your weapons. Sit were you like and Buckwheat and his pet Honey Mead will take your order, Rye is tending the bar and she be more than helpful, Flax man's the kitchen, Barley entertain's, and Munich's our brew master here at The Soggy Oats Tavern.

Dark_Ansem

• Gelatinous Cube
#768 November 11, 2018, Sunday, 09:01 am
And this keeps getting better and better.
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

Newlander

• Beach Crab
#773 November 11, 2018, Sunday, 08:58 pm

Oh, and what about Mini-Games! :o Don't know if it was already suggested (apologies in advance), but wouldn't be awesome to be able to Bet and Gamble, play Cards, Dice, Darts, Axe Throwing, Arm Wrestling, Rat Races, or participate in Drinking Endurance Contests, the local Archery competition, and of course fight in some taverns' Fight Clubs! (no weapons/gear allowed) for earning (probably mostly loosing) money?

And here is the answer about that:

Andronius The Druid

• Developer
  • Gelatinous Cube
#782 Yesterday at 07:21 pm

And here is the answer about that:

Thanks for noticing, Newlander!  :hug: We've been busting our ass off, for many long sleepless nights, to include every cool game mechanic and feature into the project. I'm honoured and happy that some of my suggestions made it through. Very often best ideas for gameplay come from gamers themselves, from the nice community behind a project they love. Be assured I do take note of every single suggestion, idea and feedback coming from you guys, and pass it to the team for discussion. None is left unread, crazy as it may be, from spells implementation, to classes, to improvements suggestions for the UI or editor tools, to Quests and recruitable NPCs. So, Keep 'em coming!