Author Topic: Player Races

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#932 November 19, 2018, Monday, 01:07 pm
How customisable will this system be, in respect also to modded and nonLIVING races:

Example: some races have different favoured classes for males and females and/or lack genders altogether: how would that work?

Are you still honouring the promise made during kickstarter to technically implement a Subrace + Level Adjustment + (potentially) Racial Hit Dice system for modders?
Comment reference "Our world design don't require those, but technically, we will add them for modding."
Which of course implies that some races and subraces might not be technically living, and thus not require sleep or food: will we be able to take that into account?
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#1036 November 27, 2018, Tuesday, 02:51 pm

Example: some races have different favoured classes for males and females and/or lack genders altogether: how would that work?

If I'm not mistaken, in 3.5e the "favored classes" only come into play when multi-classing.   In Neverwinter Nights, a halfling had rogue as their favored class.  What this means in practice is that if you made a halfling rogue / fighter,   you could freely level up those two classes at any rate you wish, w/o penalty.   However, if you decided to take a third class or a combination of two classes which are not the character's favored class, then you could get an experience penalty if your class levels are more than 1 level apart.   Ex: A halfling wizard (2)/ fighter (1) would not suffer an XP penalty, but a halfling wizard (3) / fighter (1) would receive an XP penalty (20% reduction in XP gained) until you leveled up fighter again so the levels only differ by one. 

That said, I believe Ceres is currently planning to not have multi-classing, only prestige classes (which are not affected by the multi-classing XP penalty rule in 3.5e) so it's not an issue.  If they change their minds and decide to implement multi-classing, I'd still lean towards preferring they do away with favored class rules.  Why? Because it just places an arbitrary limit on how I build my characters.   Maybe I want to make a Halfling Wizard / Fighter / Eldritch Knight :)  Also, humans & half-elves get an advantage of treating any class as their favored class.  Humans already get the huge bonus of extra skill points and  a bonus feat on level one.  Besides, even w/o favored class, some racial bonuses give you an incentive to make them certain classes.  Halflings get a bonus to Dexterity, Hide, and Move Silently, and a penalty to Strength, so naturally you're going to be more inclined to make your Halfling a Rogue than a Fighter or Melee class. 

Last edited: November 27, 2018, Tuesday, 02:57 pm by daveyd

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#1038 November 27, 2018, Tuesday, 04:47 pm

If I'm not mistaken, in 3.5e the "favored classes" only come into play when multi-classing.   In Neverwinter Nights, a halfling had rogue as their favored class.  What this means in practice is that if you made a halfling rogue / fighter,   you could freely level up those two classes at any rate you wish, w/o penalty.   However, if you decided to take a third class or a combination of two classes which are not the character's favored class, then you could get an experience penalty if your class levels are more than 1 level apart.   Ex: A halfling wizard (2)/ fighter (1) would not suffer an XP penalty, but a halfling wizard (3) / fighter (1) would receive an XP penalty (20% reduction in XP gained) until you leveled up fighter again so the levels only differ by one. 

That said, I believe Ceres is currently planning to not have multi-classing, only prestige classes (which are not affected by the multi-classing XP penalty rule in 3.5e) so it's not an issue.  If they change their minds and decide to implement multi-classing, I'd still lean towards preferring they do away with favored class rules.  Why? Because it just places an arbitrary limit on how I build my characters.   Maybe I want to make a Halfling Wizard / Fighter / Eldritch Knight :)  Also, humans & half-elves get an advantage of treating any class as their favored class.  Humans already get the huge bonus of extra skill points and  a bonus feat on level one.  Besides, even w/o favored class, some racial bonuses give you an incentive to make them certain classes.  Halflings get a bonus to Dexterity, Hide, and Move Silently, and a penalty to Strength, so naturally you're going to be more inclined to make your Halfling a Rogue than a Fighter or Melee class.

I suppose you are actually right, doing favoured class rules away is a great idea.
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

obsidian_razor

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1044 November 28, 2018, Wednesday, 03:05 pm
Count me as a +1 on getting rid of Favored Classes.

They were a very lackluster way of trying to keep crazy multiclassing under control, and sadly they didn't do a great job at it.

Pathfinder has them as a bonus of sorts. You chose your favored class at Level 1 and can't change it ever again. Every time you level up, if you level your favored class you get either +1HP or +1 skill point.

But again, very few people bother with them in my experience and dropping then barely affects the balance in the game.

ds62

• Town Guard
  • Beach Crab
#1117 January 08, 2019, Tuesday, 01:36 am
I wonder about Tieflings though... not that I've ever played one, but I've seen many people like to make Tiefling warlocks and rogue-assasins. Can't recall if they were already a thing in 3.5e or were just homebrew or in the monster manual.

I noticed Tieflings in Planescape:Torment for the first time but I never understood why they became so popular in D&D later. The whole concept behind this race is quite bizarre and implausible (for me), which is fine for Planescape but not for more traditional settings as Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk.

The charm of Tifling and Ashimar is that it is possible to narrate the traditional 'lineage'. They are expected and discriminated from others by their tokens, and their lives depend on their fate, the impact from their ancestors, as if they were born from birth.
Their lives have a very interesting narrative as to whether or not to follow the draw of this lineage. This is as much a typical hero's background as "ordinary man's success".

ds62

• Town Guard
  • Beach Crab
#1118 January 08, 2019, Tuesday, 01:40 am
drow is an attractive race. Who would hate drizzt? (Except for the DM that met the player who brought the drizzt copy.)

MadBeard

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1142 January 11, 2019, Friday, 06:05 pm
Ahhh...there's no school like the old school. Too many cRPGs made over the last 15 years have spent too much time reinventing the wheel and trying to create a new gimmicky setting. Personally I hate the cat people and reptile people in the Elder Scrolls series. They don't fit in that setting very well and stick out like a sore thumb running around with human clothing and voices. It's just silly and seems like an afterthought that was thrown in there by some marketing/publisher types. This will make me sound old and set in my ways, but there only seem to be two major literary inspirations that work well with fantasy RPGs: Tolkien's Middle Earth and Howard's Hyboria. And any combination of these two in any ratio seems to work. (Note: I know the late Gary Gygax said Middle Earth wasn't a big influence in D&D, but come on...)

I'm feeling the same way about classes in some systems, like alchemist and summoner from pathfinder. My mind can't really process the idea of having something like that in this setting  :D
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

rjshae

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1200 January 18, 2019, Friday, 05:54 am
Recruitable planetouched companions could be rebalanced by padding their starting stats a little to compensate for the +1 level adjustment. Or they could be granted additional special abilities at higher levels.

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1280 January 30, 2019, Wednesday, 02:27 am
+1 to completely removing favored class mechanics.  As GM, I did this and it worked well for us.

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1540 April 25, 2019, Thursday, 04:51 pm
I don't have nothing against favored class, but then again this game will have prestige classes, but no multclassing... so...

Cliff

• Beach Crab
#1802 September 15, 2019, Sunday, 08:04 pm
Hello there,

I don't know how I feel about Races having -2 on some characteristics. It was one of the biggest flaws of 3.5 for me, it makes character creation way more restrictive by limiting your options to only a few among many in order to have a half decent character. Interesting archetypes from a roleplay perspective such as Half Orc Paladin, Dwarf Priest or Elf Barbarian become very unappealing in term of gameplay.

Maybe it is something worth reconsidering to avoid a swarm of humans and half-elves?

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1805 September 16, 2019, Monday, 03:28 pm
We will not implement the favored class element for races because we don't like the inherent characterization of a whole race (dwarves are fighters, elves are wizards, etc.)

Hello there
Welcome to our forums, Cliff!

I don't know how I feel about Races having -2 on some characteristics. It was one of the biggest flaws of 3.5 for me, it makes character creation way more restrictive by limiting your options to only a few among many in order to have a half decent character. Interesting archetypes from a roleplay perspective such as Half Orc Paladin, Dwarf Priest or Elf Barbarian become very unappealing in term of gameplay.

We will keep the ability modifier for races, but regardless of those penalties, I think playing more exotic characters like Half-Orc paladins is still an interesting option.

Sapistas

• Marsh Goblin
#1810 September 17, 2019, Tuesday, 04:03 pm
We will not implement the favored class element for races because we don't like the inherent characterization of a whole race (dwarves are fighters, elves are wizards, etc.)

We will keep the ability modifier for races, but regardless of those penalties, I think playing more exotic characters like Half-Orc paladins is still an interesting option.

Interesting (as a concept), yes. Will it be viable, though?  DnD is a dump-stat mechanism game after all...
Last edited: September 17, 2019, Tuesday, 04:47 pm by Sapistas

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#1817 September 18, 2019, Wednesday, 02:40 pm

Interesting (as a concept), yes. Will it be viable, though? DnD is a dump-stat mechanism game after all...

Sure, why not?  A half-orc paladin will have a +2 Strength and -2 Int. and -2 Cha.   Intelligence is of course unimportant to paladins so that penalty doesn't matter much.   Say you roll two 18's  (with a bit of rerolling its not too hard) to assign to Str. and Cha*.  He'll start out with 20 Str (+4 bonus to attack & melee damage) and 16 Cha (+3 bonus).  He'll do a great amount of melee damage, get a +3 to attack when using "Smite Evil", a +3 bonus to saving throws from "Divine Grace", lay on hands will heal his level X 3, and he'll be pretty good at turning undead.  If "Divine Vengeance" feat is in the game, he could take that & his less than perfect Charisma doesn't even matter. 

*Might be a bit harder to overcome if you use the point-buy system to create the character but even a paladin that starts with 14 Cha will still be effective if he's got 20 strength. 

I'd say a half-orc paladin is more viable than a halfling or gnome (which both have -2 strength); though they could still be great as they could focus more on the paladin abilities that benefit from a high charisma like smiting.    I understand the inclination to create perfect party members but having characters with some flaws that go against stereotype could be fun.  I'd probably be more inclined to make a half-orc fighter or barbarian than a paladin or wizard but the -2 penalty isn't really that big of a deal in a game where you can re-roll characters as many times as you want. 
Last edited: September 18, 2019, Wednesday, 02:43 pm by daveyd

mąlërfjernér

• Marsh Goblin
#1876 October 16, 2019, Wednesday, 01:21 am
Have they mentioned anywhere about character customization in terms of hair and facial features/body types or options to have tall/short character models etc? I really like the (current??) character models based off what I watched in the RB trailer, but I'm also a huge fan of allowing players small customization features at character creation. Would love to know if this a thing or a future thing on their to do list.