Author Topic: party

Rizzo

• Beach Crab
#687 November 03, 2018, Saturday, 11:47 pm
Very glad to hear that it is not hardcoded.
I understand that 6 is the "classic" limit, but it always felt strange when, for example in Baldur's Gate, you could not pick up 1 additional, temporary NPC to help them, then drop them when done.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#689 November 03, 2018, Saturday, 11:51 pm
Can you name the party? Storm of Zehir did it and I thought it was a nice touch.

Good idea, we haven't thought about that yet. Noted.

kanisatha

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1188 January 15, 2019, Tuesday, 08:45 pm
A question about party companions and the game UI: Will it be possible somewhere within the game, at least in our stronghold perhaps, to be able to simultaneously access the paperdolls and inventories of ALL our companions and not just only the ones in our active party? Not being able to do this is extremely frustrating to me, for example in PoE where you have to keep swapping companions in and out of your party when you want to redistribute equipment. I actually like distributing equipment to all my companions based on what is best for whom and not just the companions in my current party. It would be very nice if the UI allowed this.

A second party question: Will our inactive companions keep pace with the ones in our party with respect to experience and level?

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1189 January 16, 2019, Wednesday, 01:26 am
A question about party companions and the game UI: Will it be possible somewhere within the game, at least in our stronghold perhaps, to be able to simultaneously access the paperdolls and inventories of ALL our companions and not just only the ones in our active party?
We haven't finished the inventory interface yet but we'll check if we can create such an additional screen. That's definitely a very good idea.

A second party question: Will our inactive companions keep pace with the ones in our party with respect to experience and level?
No, disbanded party members will most likely just stay in the guild/tavern where you've left them and they will not advance.

kanisatha

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#1198 January 17, 2019, Thursday, 11:48 pm
No, disbanded party members will most likely just stay in the guild/tavern where you've left them and they will not advance.

Ok, which then means, I suppose, that once we make the decision to include or exclude a companion from our party, we are not going to want to add that companion to the party at a later point in the game since they will be rather underleveled.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Wildland Warrior
#1209 January 18, 2019, Friday, 07:03 pm

Ok, which then means, I suppose, that once we make the decision to include or exclude a companion from our party, we are not going to want to add that companion to the party at a later point in the game since they will be rather underleveled.

Depends. It's a proper strategy to level up weaker characters much faster because they'll get more XP in high level parties.
Our basic game design will include and explicitly support the possibility to lose a character and replace him/her with a newbie from the next guild or tavern.

Endarire

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#1221 January 20, 2019, Sunday, 09:02 am
Pathfinder: Kingmaker allows players to access the character sheets, spellbooks, and inventories of all party members - even inactive ones - while at home base.

BDCRealms

• Beach Crab
#2302 May 16, 2020, Saturday, 05:40 pm
Watching some of the combat beta videos posted, I see you have included a shared party inventory system. How is that going to impact encumbrance of each character? It looks like possibly each character's load is added together and creates a total load?
Last edited: May 16, 2020, Saturday, 05:43 pm by BDCRealms

markelphoenix

• Town Guard
  • Beach Crab
#2303 May 16, 2020, Saturday, 05:53 pm

Depends. It's a proper strategy to level up weaker characters much faster because they'll get more XP in high level parties.
Our basic game design will include and explicitly support the possibility to lose a character and replace him/her with a newbie from the next guild or tavern.

Only thing off about that for me is....it basically means, that  for days, weeks, months, or years...that character is sitting at a tavern....not doing anything, not doing any other adventures.....I would assume, head canon wise anyways, that if someone was removed from party, in lore, they'd go about living their lives. In game, them being available to re-recruit from tavern would be abstracting the 'fancy running into you here, how have your adventures found you?' scenario.

Would be kind of neat, that if you left a Chaotic Evil Rogue at  a tavern, that there would be a certain chance you would run into them during a brigand encounter, with option to hire them back for that encounter, for example.

Just seems kind of....silly, that old companions would just be living their lives at a tavern if you dump them at level 2, for ever staying at level 2 unless you and only you decide to recruit them again.

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2408 May 22, 2020, Friday, 01:14 pm
Watching some of the combat beta videos posted, I see you have included a shared party inventory system. How is that going to impact encumbrance of each character? It looks like possibly each character's load is added together and creates a total load?

Encumbrance is not fully implemented in the beta.  Each character has an individual load capacity that is only affected by the equipment s/he is wearing.  If I equip a halfling fighter with armor that exceeds his "max load" then his load (# lbs he is personally wearing / holding) turns red.   However, it doesn't appear to actually do anything yet (he can still move normally and doesn't appear to have any additional penalties). 

There is also a "total load" listed on the bottom of the party / equipment screen, but it isn't implemented at all yet (stays at 0/5000).  Presumably this will ultimately be determined by the combined strength of all party members... Or perhaps we will be able to buy items such as luggage that will increase our total load capacity somewhat.

I have to say that the shared party inventory makes inventory management much more enjoyable than having separate inventory for each character such as in games like Baldur's Gate where you may have to constantly swap items between characters to deal with encumbrance etc.  The only potential downside is it could make for some  lack of realism where a fighter could unequip an item in combat and then on her turn a ranger from across the battlefield could equip the same item. 

I suspect in the final game there will be restrictions on what items can be equipped / unequip during combat (like armor as we see in a lot of CRPGs).  Currently in the beta you can still. remove and equip different armor during combat.

SirPelinor

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#2410 May 22, 2020, Friday, 02:39 pm
Hello,

I noticed in the videos 2 bugs.
People's movements ignore the environment. We can see people disappear when they are on a staircase.
Another point, the characters walk on it. Certain times, we no longer see a character.

In character creation, I don't see the notion of alignment.
Will the alignment be set up?

BDCRealms

• Beach Crab
#2415 May 22, 2020, Friday, 11:41 pm

Encumbrance is not fully implemented in the beta.  Each character has an individual load capacity that is only affected by the equipment s/he is wearing.  If I equip a halfling fighter with armor that exceeds his "max load" then his load (# lbs he is personally wearing / holding) turns red.   However, it doesn't appear to actually do anything yet (he can still move normally and doesn't appear to have any additional penalties). 

There is also a "total load" listed on the bottom of the party / equipment screen, but it isn't implemented at all yet (stays at 0/5000).  Presumably this will ultimately be determined by the combined strength of all party members... Or perhaps we will be able to buy items such as luggage that will increase our total load capacity somewhat.

I have to say that the shared party inventory makes inventory management much more enjoyable than having separate inventory for each character such as in games like Baldur's Gate where you may have to constantly swap items between characters to deal with encumbrance etc.  The only potential downside is it could make for some  lack of realism where a fighter could unequip an item in combat and then on her turn a ranger from across the battlefield could equip the same item. 

I suspect in the final game there will be restrictions on what items can be equipped / unequip during combat (like armor as we see in a lot of CRPGs).  Currently in the beta you can still. remove and equip different armor during combat.
Thanks for the explanation.

While I am in favor of a BG type system, because I want weight/encumbrance to matter, I understand that game play wise not everything from D&D caries over. I think having a total party encumbrance equaling total carry capacity of all characters, with range limits on item switching (to avoid exploits as you suggested) would be a good compromise. This solution would still make weight/encumbrance matter but just eliminate the need to sort items between characters.

I do think it would be nice to have a potion belt or some other way to equip some items on characters so that they would be able to hold items locally.

kanisatha

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#2425 May 25, 2020, Monday, 04:46 pm

While I am in favor of a BG type system, because I want weight/encumbrance to matter, I understand that game play wise not everything from D&D caries over. I think having a total party encumbrance equaling total carry capacity of all characters, with range limits on item switching (to avoid exploits as you suggested) would be a good compromise. This solution would still make weight/encumbrance matter but just eliminate the need to sort items between characters.

I do think it would be nice to have a potion belt or some other way to equip some items on characters so that they would be able to hold items locally.

I don't have the beta, but going by this post, if you don't have some form of quick access item slots for each individual party member, that should definitely be included.

daveyd

• Citizen
  • Ogre Zombie
#2430 Today at 01:11 pm

I don't have the beta, but going by this post, if you don't have some form of quick access item slots for each individual party member, that should definitely be included.

Yes, currently there is no potion / quick access slot in the beta yet.  Each character has a melee weapon slot and a ranged weapon slot & these are currently the only items visible without opening up the party inventory screen.  However, there aren't yet any healing potions implemented n the beta. The only consumables in currently are food, which will be related to the camping / survival mechanics (hunger, thirst). 

I agree a quick access slot will be essential but obviously won't do anything until we have consumables useful in combat.   There are scrolls sold by one of the merchants butI don't think you can cast spells from them yet. However, you can learn the spell if your wizard / cleric is the appropriate level.