Author Topic: Party member with story and dialogue ?

Chris_Wilson

• Beach Crab
#179 January 18, 2018, Thursday, 10:21 pm
Hi there,

I did not read that in your news already so I ask. Will we have party member with story and dialogue etc... ?

I really hope so, I always felt too lonely while playing icewind dale and first I have done is install the mod for NPC party member.

HobGoblin42

• Administrator
  • Ogre Zombie
#181 January 19, 2018, Friday, 01:11 am
I did not read that in your news already so I ask. Will we have party member with story and dialogue etc... ?

We are still discussing the design of background stories, personal quests and (hidden) agendas for companions.

But before we go any further, we need to solve challenges regarding full character customization combined with meaningful companion's content & characterization.

As soon as those problems are solved, we will publish a blog post related to this specific topic.

daveyd

• Marsh Goblin
#251 May 09, 2018, Wednesday, 05:46 pm
Just a thought, if party members with fully fleshed out backgrounds and unique personalities proves to outside the game's scope, perhaps a sort of happy medium can be achieved.  For ex: TSI games is / was planning for Seven Dragon Saga to have player generated parties, but companions would have goals / motivations that impact how they react to the player's choices and approach to completing quests.    Closest thing I can think of for a released RPG is the personality traits in Expeditions: Conquistador.   I love generating characters, but would love to see party members be something more than walking stat sheets. 

StoneAgeArtisan

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#303 July 03, 2018, Tuesday, 07:04 pm
Based on my conversations over the years I realize I am in the minority on this, but when I played through Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, I created my entire party. For BG 1 I had to play it as a LAN game with only me in it, but it worked. I never really like the NPCs that could join you. I'm sure I missed out on some side quests, but I enjoyed the game a lot more. Perhaps that's why I liked the Icewind Dale series a little better than the Baldur's Gate series. The plot was built on the idea that you would create your entire party. I suppose the *best* option is to let the player choose how he or she wants to play, which I believe the developers have already stated is their plan.

daveyd

• Marsh Goblin
#333 July 26, 2018, Thursday, 12:10 am
Based on my conversations over the years I realize I am in the minority on this, but when I played through Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, I created my entire party. For BG 1 I had to play it as a LAN game with only me in it, but it worked. I never really like the NPCs that could join you. I'm sure I missed out on some side quests, but I enjoyed the game a lot more. Perhaps that's why I liked the Icewind Dale series a little better than the Baldur's Gate series. The plot was built on the idea that you would create your entire party. I suppose the *best* option is to let the player choose how he or she wants to play, which I believe the developers have already stated is their plan.

Yeah, while I'm not opposed to the idea of companions with a backstory, I found a lot of the BG companions rather annoying.  But then I'm not really a big fan of BG in general as I detest RTwP combat and the games have far too much filler / trash encounters IMO (which is of course a problem regardless of the system).  And I've never played Icewind Dale as I hate IE combat so I couldn't think of playing an IE game that had even more combat than BG.

Anyway, yes I think giving player's a choice is always the best option whenever possible. 

StoneAgeArtisan

• Developer
  • Marsh Goblin
#339 July 26, 2018, Thursday, 03:23 pm
...I found a lot of the BG companions rather annoying.  But then I'm not really a big fan of BG in general as I detest RTwP combat and the games have far too much filler / trash encounters IMO (which is of course a problem regardless of the system).  And I've never played Icewind Dale as I hate IE combat so I couldn't think of playing an IE game that had even more combat than BG.

Yes, I was being polite about the BG companions. Honestly they really annoyed me too (the reason IWD was a better game to me was because there were no companions or their silly dialogue.) Even most of the portraits were just ridiculous looking. There was a lot about BG that broke the immersion for me, and the Real-Time w/ Pause was tedious. I and so many auto-pause options checked because I really just wanted it to be turn-based. But let's face it, BG came out in a time of severe cRPG "drought". Richard Garriott had abandoned his Ultima fanbase to spark the MMO craze (I never drank that particular kool-aid and still don't understood the mass appeal of Everquest, Wow, and all the others). So BG was a good as it got for the Ultima/GoldBox/SSI fan.

ewang

• Beach Crab
#342 July 26, 2018, Thursday, 09:41 pm

LOL...same here...I played both Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 with 6 characters, all my own.  Not into picking up "strangers" and such.   :hahano: