Author Topic: Party member with story and dialogue ?

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#883 November 17, 2018, Saturday, 03:14 pm

Anyway both can prove pleasant to play if  the development of the story, characters, lore, overall background are appealling. I do not doubt that RB will offer it!

Don't get me wrong. I'm RTwP gal till death. But I expect decent combat, not over the top fun. This is small studio, and don't want to ruin your hopes, but lower bit expectations. I believe combat will be almost as fun as ToEE, but ToEE was developed by experienced guys and gals, so that's hard to surpass.

I expect decent combat, fun yes, entertaining yes.

Like DOS2 or ToEE? Nope.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#887 November 17, 2018, Saturday, 03:46 pm
Probably for the best. Dos2 combat was very annoying.
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

Claudius33

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#888 November 17, 2018, Saturday, 04:30 pm
@Ladybard,

Don't get me wrong. I backed the game because the team sounds very committed to me, willing to set  the game in a consistent world and providing a toolset for modders, not because I had very high expectations regarding the TB combat engine.
I'm old enough to know that enthusiastic features, very high expectations, self generated hopes soon encounter time and budget constraints.

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#889 November 17, 2018, Saturday, 04:37 pm

(I loved it)

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#890 November 17, 2018, Saturday, 04:39 pm

(I loved it)

Don't disagree, but all those elemental pools made the game extremely chaotic.

Andronius The Druid

• Gelatinous Cube
#907 November 17, 2018, Saturday, 11:51 pm
Re. companions, I'm very much in favor of companions having personality and depth to them. For me, IwD's biggest weakness is that my party feels so lifeless and empty. I think one of the main reasons people like the ability to make their own companions is so they can min-max and create "perfect" companions and parties. I, however, strongly like the idea of having companions that are not perfect, who have weaknesses and flaws, and where it is then up to me as the player to find creative and interesting ways to overcome or compensate for those weaknesses and flaws to produce a solid, functional party.
That's a good point: having "realistic", full-fleshed companions with Strengths and Weaknesses, their own goals and agendas, makes it more of a challenge than having just a min-maxed party of soulless robot minions. RB will offer the two options. 

Anyway both can prove pleasant to play if  the development of the story, characters, lore, overall background are appealling. I do not doubt that RB will offer it!

As for party composition, I  personnaly prefer full fleshed companions rather than bland followers. Others prefer to tailor their party. Ceres Game made a good call giving the two options.

In my NWN2 mods, companions are full fleshed and I give the choice to the player to select their classes/races among a range of choices.
Wow, actually providing full fleshed companions in your mods is hard work and time-consuming. Very generous of you.
I'm eager to see what ppl end up making with the Editor. As a devoted modder, I believe you will be enjoying the tools a lot.

Grammarsalad

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#967 November 23, 2018, Friday, 03:55 pm
I did not read that in your news already so I ask. Will we have party member with story and dialogue etc... ?

We are still discussing the design of background stories, personal quests and (hidden) agendas for companions.

But before we go any further, we need to solve challenges regarding full character customization combined with meaningful companion's content & characterization.

As soon as those problems are solved, we will publish a blog post related to this specific topic.

Is it possible to implement something like NWN1 early discarded draft?

Like personal quest based on character traits/class/gender even for premade characters?

Like - druid companion whether or not created at start or recruited got special story quest which may unfold differently based on his race/gender?

I was told NWN1 had great story draft which was discarded by problems at Black Isle/Atari/Bioware studios.

...that is a really cool idea...

Edit: I wonder if we would be able to at least mod something like this in

Edit2: that already exists in a lot of games in some respects. E.g. in BG the game doesn't care what class or race the protagonist is (though it varies the experience in different ways depending on those variables)

Edit3: a BG equivalent might be to replace Imoen with a the smartest rogue like character in the (created) party
Last edited: November 23, 2018, Friday, 04:29 pm by Grammarsalad

obsidian_razor

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#968 November 23, 2018, Friday, 04:10 pm
Just a thought, if party members with fully fleshed out backgrounds and unique personalities proves to outside the game's scope, perhaps a sort of happy medium can be achieved.  For ex: TSI games is / was planning for Seven Dragon Saga to have player generated parties, but companions would have goals / motivations that impact how they react to the player's choices and approach to completing quests.    Closest thing I can think of for a released RPG is the personality traits in Expeditions: Conquistador.   I love generating characters, but would love to see party members be something more than walking stat sheets.

I like this! And it would add a lot more of variety.

Not sure how hard to implement it would be. Probably harder on the coding wise but easier on the writing side.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#969 November 23, 2018, Friday, 04:15 pm
XCOM 2 is the game which made me love TB after I finished playing Final Fantasy. You're right, Claudius, it is definitely a good source of inspiration.

Grammarsalad

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#971 November 23, 2018, Friday, 04:35 pm
Or what if you could select at character creation from a list of goals and personality traits that had in game effects.

Like let's say that human fighters could select* the background: 'lost parents at a young age and was adopted by uncle Remus'. Where uncle Remus was actually in the game and where if you upset the wrong faction they would kidnap him and blackmail the party.

You could also select 'stranger from a strange land' for all created characters at creation if you don't want this kind of thing for your party..

*should only be available to a single character, so once selected, this option should be unavailable to other characters

Something like that would be pretty cool
Last edited: November 23, 2018, Friday, 04:39 pm by Grammarsalad

obsidian_razor

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#972 November 23, 2018, Friday, 04:52 pm
Or what if you could select at character creation from a list of goals and personality traits that had in game effects.

Like let's say that human fighters could select* the background: 'lost parents at a young age and was adopted by uncle Remus'. Where uncle Remus was actually in the game and where if you upset the wrong faction they would kidnap him and blackmail the party.

You could also select 'stranger from a strange land' for all created characters at creation if you don't want this kind of thing for your party..

*should only be available to a single character, so once selected, this option should be unavailable to other characters

If this could be implemented, that would be amazing.

Double plus: modders could add more companion quests for you to choose from and add!

Grammarsalad

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#973 November 23, 2018, Friday, 04:56 pm

Double plus: modders could add more companion quests for you to choose from and add!
Exactly what I was thinking...

obsidian_razor

• Town Guard
  • Marsh Goblin
#974 November 23, 2018, Friday, 04:58 pm

If the devs like the idea, maybe it could work if they do a small amount of these at the beginning (maybe 6, one per companion?) and then modders can fill in the rest :D

LadyBard

• Town Guard
  • Gelatinous Cube
#979 November 24, 2018, Saturday, 02:52 pm

If the devs like the idea, maybe it could work if they do a small amount of these at the beginning (maybe 6, one per companion?) and then modders can fill in the rest :D

I don't want to be shoehorned into playing unpolished game or mod the game, since I 100% play vanilla on my games.
I even play Skyrim & NWN1 Vanilla.

In other words, toolset is awesome, but I don't want mediocore vanilla game. Not everyone wish to play community made mods, at least not at start. Creating a playground for modders is fine, but main vanilla campaign is first thing new users see.

Dark_Ansem

• Town Guard
  • Ogre Zombie
#981 November 24, 2018, Saturday, 03:52 pm
Boy do I feel sorry for you. Skyrim without mods.